Compatibility with MGSO

General discussion regarding the OpenMW project.
For technical support, please use the Support subforum.
sirherrbatka

Re: Compatibility with MGSO

Post by sirherrbatka »

i meant that:
-this mod is impossible in the morrowind because of script limitatations
-mwse allows to make it in the hackish way
-openmw scripts do not suffer from the same limitations and it is ALREADY possible to make same mod for openmw
ezze

Post by ezze »

I see, however it is a pity you have to remake mods and you can't use them directly.
WeirdSexy

Post by WeirdSexy »

ezze wrote:I see, however it is a pity you have to remake mods and you can't use them directly.
I think it would be a pity to support more hackery than is necessary in a project like this.
SquireNed

Post by SquireNed »

I believe the case is that OpenMW is more flexible and open than Morrowind. Because it's built with future mod compatibility in mind, I think that there's been a movement to keep less stuff restricted to the engine and more stuff possible without having to use an extender to work around vanilla Morrowind's code.
heilkitty

Post by heilkitty »

WeirdSexy wrote:I think it would be a pity to support more hackery than is necessary in a project like this.
Is there so much hackery though? I always thought that what MWSE and MWE do is adding a bunch of functions. Yes, they do it in a hackish way because they have no choice, but from OpenMW POV adding that functions is not really hackish.
ezze

Post by ezze »

heilkitty wrote:[...]they do it in a hackish way because they have no choice, but from OpenMW POV adding that functions is not really hackish.
This is what I also think... The point is not remake the script extender, is allow the mods that need it to work.
I can understand it is not a 1.00 thinghy, but why not in the future? I guess we need Zini point of view in this...
WeirdSexy

Post by WeirdSexy »

ezze wrote:
heilkitty wrote:...
This is what I also think... The point is not remake the script extender, is allow the mods that need it to work.
I can understand it is not a 1.00 thinghy, but why not in the future? I guess we need Zini point of view in this...
I think you misunderstood heilkitty, or perhaps I am misunderstanding you. I think all heilkitty is saying is that we can add all of the functions from MWSE, but just add them directly into the engine like we do any other script instruction. This method of adding functions is not hacky, whereas however MWSEinstructions were originally implemented was hacky.

Also, read this thread viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1799

heilkitty, I don't know enough about the MWSEinstructions themselves to say whether they are hacky or not. All I mean is that I can imagine that the authors of MWSEcould have run into limitations with the engine they were working with that caused them to add instructions that were "the best they could do", rather than writing the instructions they would have added if they could write anything they wanted. If this is the case, and there would be better/cleaner ways to support the functionality previously afforded by MWSE, then I would say to do that rather than support MWSE instructions.

But again, you can tell I have no idea what I'm talking about here.
heilkitty

Post by heilkitty »

OK, some of the MWSE instructions do look really hackish (e.g. xSetRef) (not that it's MWSE creators' fault) and I can understand Zini's notions for not supporting them. I guess, he's had enough crap with vanilla syntax already.
Zini

Post by Zini »

The x-form of some existing instructions are actually not a problem. They are redundant in most cases, but just adding an alias for an instruction wouldn't be a problem.
However there are some aspects to the script extender syntax that may not fit into OpenMW (don't have any details here, sorry; too long since I looked at that stuff). Please keep in mind, that we don't implement the MW scripting languages. We are implementing a superset of it. Some extensions to the original language may simply be incompatible with our scripting language. Also some extensions may block possible future improvements of the scripting language, that are planned.
ezze

Post by ezze »

This means to give up to part of the existing community material. I understand your point, but it seems a pity.
Or not? How many MWSE mod are overthere?