Specular Highlights?

General discussion regarding the OpenMW project.
For technical support, please use the Support subforum.
sirherrbatka

Re: Specular Highlights?

Post by sirherrbatka »

Looks like Doom 3.

It makes me wonder how it would look with this textures: http://planetelderscrolls.gamespy.com/V ... ail&id=696 or anything with higher resolution.
Greendogo

Post by Greendogo »

Wow, nicely done PeterBitt! And thanks for making this possible Scrawl! I can already tell the community is loving this!
scrawl

Post by scrawl »

PeterBitt wrote: Scrawl, as you see in some of the screenshots, big chunks of the terrain turn completely white and I dont know why. I am pretty sure its not a texture problem because other spots do work properly.
Sounds like a DirectX/HLSL shader issue. I am unable to test those. Can you please upload the ogre.log?
In the meantime, try the GL render system instead.
PeterBitt

Post by PeterBitt »

scrawl wrote:Sounds like a DirectX/HLSL shader issue. I am unable to test those. Can you please upload the ogre.log?
In the meantime, try the GL render system instead.
Youre right, GL render system fixes it. Log: http://www.sendspace.com/file/kuq98j

Apart from some missing ones I have finished basic ground textures for the whole game. A lot of screenshots here:

https://plus.google.com/u/0/b/105268208 ... 6492093137

Keep in mind that I need to improve a lot, but this is all I have time for atm. Many speculars will of course be toned down. Also everything will look better with subtle bloom and hdr shaders and when speculars use more than one light source.
Tarius

Post by Tarius »

PeterBitt wrote:Vanilla ground textures with normal, specular and parallax maps:
https://plus.google.com/u/0/b/105268208 ... 6492093137

Given that the ground textures are some of the blurriest in the game, I am surprised how well they work with these features without editing! Reminds me of Outcast terrain in places.

Scrawl, as you see in some of the screenshots, big chunks of the terrain turn completely white and I dont know why. I am pretty sure its not a texture problem because other spots do work properly.

Also, am I able yet to determine how small or big a specular spot light is?
Will there be a setting allowing to globally change height of the parallax maps?
Will we be able to do the same thing for glow maps in terrain textures? I would like to make those small lava spots in some of the Molag Amur textures glowing red.
Thanks again scrawl for implementing this pre 1.0! Its great to be able to get some stuff done before release. I will share those ground textures as soon as I am done.
Thats pretty good. But like you said, tone it down. MW will be dragged into the future yet...
jvoisin

Post by jvoisin »

It would be nice if you could create (or borrow some Free ones) such kind of textures, instead of modifying the Bethesda's ones. This way, they would be redistributable, and everyone could make such amazing screenshots :)
PeterBitt

Post by PeterBitt »

ap0 wrote:It would be nice if you could create (or borrow some Free ones) such kind of textures, instead of modifying the Bethesda's ones. This way, they would be redistributable, and everyone could make such amazing screenshots :)
Oh I havent even thought about that, do you really think I shouldnt upload the vanilla textures? Arent there many mods out there that distribute modified vanilla assets?
As I understand it at some point the specular maps will be a single texture file instead of the alpha channel of the diffuse map. When this happens then I no longer to modify the original textures and dont need to redistribute them.
I dont have the time and even if I had it would take ages to edit the textures to my liking, so I will stick to vanilla textures.
I am wondering where all those texturers are that cant wait to see their stuff in OpenMW? Tarius, your Ayleyd stuff for example?
scrawl

Post by scrawl »

Try if this works or if you get a different error (as usual, copy to <OpenMW Root>/resources/materials)
terrain.shader.zip
(3.35 KiB) Downloaded 167 times
Edit: Just had a look at all the screenshots. Looking great! The solstheim textures are awesome, this is my favorite shot: https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/1052 ... 7912754238
PeterBitt

Post by PeterBitt »

Is this supposed to fix the white terrain? I try it as soon as I can.
Also if you want any of the textures for testing let me know, before I share them with everyone I want to improve them after christmas.
Thanks but all the credit should be given to you and bethesda for this ;)
potatoesmaster

Post by potatoesmaster »

ap0 wrote:It would be nice if you could create (or borrow some Free ones) such kind of textures, instead of modifying the Bethesda's ones. This way, they would be redistributable, and everyone could make such amazing screenshots :)
Speaking of that, do we have textures for the example suite?
Having a central repository for assets has been discussed a while ago. But for now, the only downloadable example-suite content seems to be an early-state (terrain only) game file.