Specular Highlights?

General discussion regarding the OpenMW project.
For technical support, please use the Support subforum.
PeterBitt

Re: Specular Highlights?

Post by PeterBitt »

Uploading the files right now.

Is it a problem if textures in the mat file do not exist? So is it ok to have a mat file for all goty textures on a MW only installation?
sirherrbatka

Post by sirherrbatka »

I don't know. I was lazy, so I putted everything in one file without thinking about consequences.

Anyway, in the archive we have BM, Tribunal and vanilla files. At the moment my program loops over all *_n.dds, adds record in the ini, and if there is also _s.dds → adds specMap. If there is no normal map, but there is specular, specular will not be added. I can change this easily if it is needed.
Attachments
bm.txt.zip
(35.23 KiB) Downloaded 173 times
PeterBitt

Post by PeterBitt »

Thank you, its working perfectly!
sirherrbatka

Post by sirherrbatka »

Glad I could help. If you could make some videos I will be happy to put those on our blog :-)
PeterBitt

Post by PeterBitt »

Re-painted vanilla face on vanilla mesh. Adding more detail made it look bad as the original UVs are not good enough.

With 0.28 the mat file seems to be not used, I have no texture effects at all on objects. The ground works properly and uses parallax and specular.

With the last 0.27 build the terrain was using the _n normal maps instead of the _nh parallax maps. Maybe terrain could prefer _nh maps if they are present?
lysol

Post by lysol »

PeterBitt wrote: Adding more detail made it look bad as the original UVs are not good enough.
Word. Ugh. It ruins so much, I mean look at the mouth and above the eyes. Kinda like they unwrapped first and then moved the eyes higher up. I was a warcraft 3 modder back in the day, and those UV maps are H O R R I B L E. It's like the early 2000's were cursed. Your texture and normal map looks great anyways though. Now we just need a higher poly mesh and a not-so-horrible UV map to make it look even better.
Greendogo

Post by Greendogo »

Stylistically I think it looks pretty cool.
sirherrbatka

Post by sirherrbatka »

With the last 0.27 build the terrain was using the _n normal maps instead of the _nh parallax maps. Maybe terrain could prefer _nh maps if they are present?
Those are not 0.270 anymore. Those are bleeding edge, source code builds.
Tolchock

Post by Tolchock »

Very promising, PeterBitt. The meshes certainly could use some work, though -- that right cheekbone looks as if it could poke my eye out. :P [quote][/quote]
TheOneWhoWatches

Post by TheOneWhoWatches »

PeterBitt wrote:
[OffTopic]
Hello! I'd like to know results of your search for close-to-vanilla texture replacers. Can you share some information?
Because I'm trying to find replacers that sticks close to original.
So far I've found Darknut's works (that looks like filtered versions of vanilla textures):
http://www.mikeniccum.com/tr.htm
And others:
http://planetelderscrolls.gamespy.com/V ... il&id=5044
http://planetelderscrolls.gamespy.com/V ... il&id=4253