OpenMW FAQ

General discussion regarding the OpenMW project.
For technical support, please use the Support subforum.
Zedd

Re: OpenMW FAQ

Post by Zedd »

I'm embarrassed to anounce V0.2.0 of the OpenMW FAQ. This version is by far the most boring one ever; it adds unnoticeable content, tries to phrase certain lines better and is actually not a FAQ, but more a feeble attempt to explain the depths of OpenMW/OpenCS.

This version is so bad even WeirdSexy didn't take the time to make a commentary video, isn't that just sad?

Changelog:
Spoiler: Show
@Weirdsexy
It's still people often ask about, and as long as we don't have a real FAQ (instead of an info page) it seems the best way to inform people of our stance on the matter.
@Zini
I didn't add that content from 3rd party programs may or may not work, since this information isn't useful.

I took away the capital letters from every word in the titles which didn't deserve one. I'm not sure why this was done. Should I put it back the way it was?
What about the part where we explain the difference between the old and the new OpenMW, does anybody agree we leave it out?
Is everybody ok with the content itself?
Is the phrasing good?
Tolchock

Post by Tolchock »

Hey Zedd, I do quite a bit of proof-reading (casual English tutor), so here is a basic proof-read version, if it helps. Bolded bits are changes.
Spoiler: Show
If this *does* help, I would be more than happy to go over similar things in the future :).
Zini

Post by Zini »

We are getting there.
The editor will also support editor plugins, files that add to the engine code which are created to extend the editors functionality and allowing it to be used as a debugging tool for OpenMW content.
That sounds now as if the plugin system will be used for debugging. That is not the case. These are two separate features.
What about the part where we explain the difference between the old and the new OpenMW, does anybody agree we leave it out?
I agree with removing it from the FAQ list. Old OpenMW is only of historical interested these days.

Regarding multiplayer: WeirdSexy's version is more clear, but I agree that it does not fit into the format.

We definitely want Tolchock's corrections, but apart from that the rest looks okay.
sirherrbatka

Post by sirherrbatka »

I do think We need to write about multiplayer and android port in FAQ (because it is a FAQ for sure). We could add separate paragraph like "Specific user demanded features".
Zedd

Post by Zedd »

OpenMW/OpenCS FAQ v0.3.0. RC builts are made, but before releasing it I would like to have more responses whether we should put something (extra) in about multiplayer and the android port.

@ Zini: Will this do?
It will also support editor plugins, files that add to the engine code that extend the editor's functionality. This allows nice extra's like using OpenCS as a debugging tool for OpenMW
@ Tolchock: I'm more than happy with corrections on my Englisch and it certainly does help. I would even find it helpful if every post I made would come with an extra one with corrections, but I fear certain maintainers that are trying to push the chaos out of these forums wouldn't be very happy about that :D. If I were sustaining/reading these forums, I would go crazy if every post was double.
Zini

Post by Zini »

@ Zini: Will this do?
No. As I wrote before, the debugging feature and the plugin feature are completely separate from each other. Plugins are not used for debugging.

And while we are at it, I think the distinction between 1.0 and post-1.0 should be made clearer. Both editor plugins and using the editor as a debugger are post-1.0 feature.

But maybe we also should take sirherrbatka's latest posting into consideration. He is certainly not wrong about these being frequently asked questions.
sirherrbatka

Post by sirherrbatka »

Let's quote WeirdSexy again.
Q:Will OpenMW support Multiplayer?
A:We currently have no plans for developing this feature. It would get in the way of our current development goals, we don't seem to have developers that are interested, and there are probably some technical factors about Morrowind that would make it extremely complicated, messy, and painful to implement. However, sometime in the future, some sort of co-op feature could be a possibility. If you are looking for an MMO, look elsewhere.
And when it comes to android port:
Q:What about Android/iOS/any other mobile OS?
A:Possible, but require changes in the GUI for touch devices and heavy tuning to get performance right. This is certainly not a high priority right now, and It seems that It won't change in the near future.
Zini

Post by Zini »

Let's replace
there are probably some technical factors about Morrowind that would make it extremely complicated, messy, and painful to implement.
with
there are probably some technical factors about OpenMW that would make it extremely complicated, messy, and painful to implement.
Zedd

Post by Zedd »

Excuse me, I misunderstood the reason why the explanation was wrong.
Post v1.0 features are going to be the use of OpenCS as a debugging tool for OpenMW content and the compatibility for editor plugins. These are files that add to the editor code, improving its functionality to allow it to have some nice extra's.
We can add the information about the multiplayer and android to have the same style as the rest:
Will OpenMW support multiplayer?

The OpenMW team currently has no plans for developing this feature. There are probably some technical factors about OpenMW that would make it extremely complicated, messy, and painful to implement. However, sometime in the future, some sort of co-op feature for OpenMW could be a possibility. The feature for making MMO's with this engine will never be supported.
The answer whether OpenMW will support porting to android devices could be reduced to a single sentence IMO which can be listed in the OpenMW aims list.
something like:
(Possibly) Support to run on mobile devices.

It's simple, but I think people will understand that the reason this feature is not guaranteed is because of the complexity to achieve this.
wheybags

Post by wheybags »

The feature for making MMO's with this engine will never be supported.
Does not sound right.
"OpenMW will probably never support MMO style gameplay."