In over my head?

General discussion regarding the OpenMW project.
For technical support, please use the Support subforum.
WeirdSexy

Re: In over my head?

Post by WeirdSexy »

I'm not sure what you're asking about 0.25. OpenMW isn't just buggy, it has core features that are not implemented yet. Combat is absent, for example, but that seems to be coming along nicely.

I'm not a Mac user, so there might be something going on I don't know about. The general process is: Open the OpenMW Launcher, a little window comes up asking for the location of your data files, you click "browse..." and then navigate to the location of your data files.

Hopefully another Mac user (we have several) will come along and give you better information.
Stormageddon

Post by Stormageddon »

WeirdSexy wrote:I'm not sure what you're asking about 0.25. OpenMW isn't just buggy, it has core features that are not implemented yet. Combat is absent, for example, but that seems to be coming along nicely.

I'm not a Mac user, so there might be something going on I don't know about. The general process is: Open the OpenMW Launcher, a little window comes up asking for the location of your data files, you click "browse..." and then navigate to the location of your data files.

Hopefully another Mac user (we have several) will come along and give you better information.

Well, I got it working kinda. I had to run the Morrowind.esm file from within OpenMW. It dumped me in a cave with people I can't talk to. I'm at work right now, so I'll explore later.

Thank you, all!
WeirdSexy

Post by WeirdSexy »

Starting in the cave is normal behavior for now. I don't know why you wouldn't be able to talk though. You can select "new" from the pause menu (the one you get when you press 'Esc') to start a normal game. We do not have a save game feature yet.
Stormageddon

Post by Stormageddon »

WeirdSexy wrote:Starting in the cave is normal behavior for now. I don't know why you wouldn't be able to talk though. You can select "new" from the pause menu (the one you get when you press 'Esc') to start a normal game. We do not have a save game feature yet.
That's cool. I'm only using a trackpad right now. I think i might have a different experience when i hook up my mouse. Thanks again. Oh, and it looks a lot better than I expected. Good job.
HiPhish

Post by HiPhish »

Stormageddon wrote:
WeirdSexy wrote:It dumped me in a cave with people I can't talk to.
In Morrowind Talking is done via Space bar and jumping via E key, in most games it's the other way around. You can change it in the options menu.
jimgagne

Post by jimgagne »

Zini wrote:Let me rephrase that. You do not need anything installed (except for OpenMW, obviously). But you need the files (the Data Files directory and Morrowind.ini). It does not matter where these files are located, as long as there is a data= line in one of the openmw.cfg files that points to the right location.
I'm trying to get OpenMW running on my Mac Pro running Lion. So far the game won't start. I'm an experienced Mac user and sometime programmer, so I may be able to help other Mac users, but once I figured out everything, the game won't run and just quits without an error message or anything.

I installed Morrowind from the original game CDs onto my Mac using Crossover. One point: the original CDs contain an unpatched version of Morrowind. You need to download and the updater from the Bethesda site. I downloaded Morrowind_v1.2.0722.exe to my Downloads folder. (It's at support.bethsoft.com - slash - patches.php.) Then,under Crossover, I used "Programs/Run Command..." to execute the updater in the MORROWIND bottle.

MORROWIND DOESN'T RUN UNDER CROSSOVER, so there's no reason not to move the files wherever you want. Crossover installs Morrowind into:
~/Library/Application Support/CrossOver/Bottles/MORROWIND/drive_c/Program Files/Bethesda Softworks/Morrowind
(where "~" means the user's home directory). Recent versions of the Max OS won't allow users to open files in the user Library, so ~/Library doesn't show up in open dialogs. So you have to move the Morrowind files somewhere else if OpenMW is to see them.

I understand OpenMW doesn't care where the Data Files folder and Morrowind.ini files are, so long as you can open them. But where is the DEFAULT location? I put them in the OpenMW directory in the Applications folder.

One glitch: I just bought Morrowind Game of the Year edition on Steam (75% off through 8/5!) and downloaded it to my Mac's Boot Camp Windows disk using VMWare. (I presume this would work under Crossover as well.) Then I copied the Data Files from the Windows disk to the OpenMW directory. Then it was easy to tell OpenMW where the files were. (Is Morrowind GotY compatible with OpenMW?)

So I'm stuck. Here are the contents of my openmw.cfg file:
data="?global?data"
data="?mw?Data Files"
data-local="?local?data"
resources=./resources

Folks, none of this makes any sense, and there's no way to tell if OpenMW found my Data Files or not.I'd strongly recommend putting some comment lines in the first part of the file to explain what's going on.
sirherrbatka

Post by sirherrbatka »

MORROWIND DOESN'T RUN UNDER CROSSOVER
Interesting. I'm sure it runs with crossover on linux. Friend of my who thinks that wine sux and crossover is awesome (lol) used to play morrowind on linux with the help of this software.

PS
I have personaly wasted more time than I want to admit while playing morrowind on linux with wine ;-)
cdoublejj

Post by cdoublejj »

WeirdSexy wrote:Damn, I've never thought of this. Steam doesn't let you download games that don't run on your current platform. So Mac/Linux users who only own Morrowind on Steam don't have a convenient way to get their data files. Troubling since Steam is the only way many newer people really have to get Morrowind.

Anyway, to Stormageddon:
You do actually have to have Morrowind's data files installed on your system to play using OpenMW. If you get things working, you can surely test out OpenMW in its current state. But, if you just want a fully playable experience, yes you'll have to wait closer to v1.0.
Wine, install steam> install WM > put steam in off line mode > use files for OWM > profit?
corristo

Post by corristo »

Just use Cmd-Shift-G in open dialog, seriously.
You can go wherever you want with it, even in any hidden or system dir.