Gaming engine for indie games

General discussion regarding the OpenMW project.
For technical support, please use the Support subforum.
indiedeveloper

Re: Gaming engine for indie games

Post by indiedeveloper »

Another thought is to create a database with known compatible mods similar to how e.g. BOSS works. If you use a mod outside that list you get a warning and if you use something incompatible, you get an error.
There is the Mlox project ( http://code.google.com/p/mlox/wiki/Mlox ), which is basically the equivalent to BOSS for Morrowind and it seems to be actively worked on.

Its open sourced, you could ask the author(s) to clue you up for a OpenMW equivalent. Of course you have the advantage that you can make the code part of the actual load up :)
Wookiee

Post by Wookiee »

Hi All,

At the very least it will all be OS after/during/before the 1.0 release so Devs can tease out all the legally sticky bits and make a complete game on this platform right? possibly with their own source laid bare to prove there are no remnants of propitiatory shenanigans. And of course giving massive propps to the whole of the openMW team and Bethesda.

Wook.
indiedeveloper

Post by indiedeveloper »

Hey just been talking to people online about OpenMW and hear was my train of thought...again...I'm a developer on Skywind and I love the idea of OpenMW. I think the future of the keeping the series alive is with OpenMW. At Skywind we are utilizing over 10 years of modder resources and bundling it up for making a more modern looking gaming environment. I for-see in the future that a OpenMW game can be married up with the improvements we have done and deliver state-of-art gaming. Think in terms that all TES games will be able to be played by a new generation every other decade. Story, content all remain as the backbone is just that with better delivery of realism people will still be mesmerized by the content. I intend to play Morrowind again in 2045, it will be a different animal by then. OpenMW will be version 6.0, the major upgrade was updating to virtual environment settings. Because you are hooked up to a free-motion machine, instead of going for a "real" run, I decide to go for a lap around the Red Mountain to burn some calories. Models have gone from 5000 poly counts, to the infamous "unlimited atoms". The result is that Cliffracers may actually make you poo your pants, when you feel the wind in your hair as they come swooping from the clouds. Its weird to think that this is not even a dream scenario, but the reality of having driven talented fans supporting these games.
Envy123

Post by Envy123 »

indiedeveloper wrote:Hey just been talking to people online about OpenMW and hear was my train of thought...again...I'm a developer on Skywind and I love the idea of OpenMW. I think the future of the keeping the series alive is with OpenMW. At Skywind we are utilizing over 10 years of modder resources and bundling it up for making a more modern looking gaming environment. I for-see in the future that a OpenMW game can be married up with the improvements we have done and deliver state-of-art gaming. Think in terms that all TES games will be able to be played by a new generation every other decade. Story, content all remain as the backbone is just that with better delivery of realism people will still be mesmerized by the content. I intend to play Morrowind again in 2045, it will be a different animal by then. OpenMW will be version 6.0, the major upgrade was updating to virtual environment settings. Because you are hooked up to a free-motion machine, instead of going for a "real" run, I decide to go for a lap around the Red Mountain to burn some calories. Models have gone from 5000 poly counts, to the infamous "unlimited atoms". The result is that Cliffracers may actually make you poo your pants, when you feel the wind in your hair as they come swooping from the clouds. Its weird to think that this is not even a dream scenario, but the reality of having driven talented fans supporting these games.
If we could marry the improvements of the Skyrim engine (physics, combat, AI) with the clothing mods of Oblivion and Skyrim and the virtual environment settings - well, no-one will ever see me again. I will leave Earth and go to Morrowind. :D
Not sure if I am serious...

Edit: Hopefully, there will be a body mod which is similar to HGEC or any other Oblivion mod in the future. The thing is, it is much easier to convert clothing mods from Oblivion to Skyrim but not Oblivion to Morrowind - main reason is that HGEC and CBBE are similar.
Necrod

Post by Necrod »

indiedeveloper wrote:I intend to play Morrowind again in 2045, it will be a different animal by then. OpenMW will be version 6.0, the major upgrade was updating to virtual environment settings. Because you are hooked up to a free-motion machine, instead of going for a "real" run, I decide to go for a lap around the Red Mountain to burn some calories. Models have gone from 5000 poly counts, to the infamous "unlimited atoms". The result is that Cliffracers may actually make you poo your pants, when you feel the wind in your hair as they come swooping from the clouds. Its weird to think that this is not even a dream scenario, but the reality of having driven talented fans supporting these games.
This.
indiedeveloper

Post by indiedeveloper »

If we could marry the improvements of the Skyrim engine (physics, combat, AI) with the clothing mods of Oblivion and Skyrim and the virtual environment settings - well, no-one will ever see me again. I will leave Earth and go to Morrowind. :D
Well the best way to look at it is that OpenMW is already leveraging off the Orge3D engine, so if its constantly upgraded (I'm sure part of the reason of choosing Orge3D was for this) and improved for latter CPU, GPU, etc then you already get this.

At Skywind we are going about the business of trying to get the best bang for buck models as we can to improve the graphics. We are exporting our work for Skyrim format, but of course we can always convert them to Morrowind, minus some of the shader enhancements of course. But as time goes on, branching OpenMW to use the naive format of Orge3D or reading extra NIF property values, means that new shaders can be used.

As part of the project things like creatures are being made with Zbrush with high detail, then made into game sized models. But as time goes on they can be exported with higher and higher detail. Same goes for all the models, such is the fanaticism of people wanting to re-create Morrowind(ish) elements.

This is the motto at the morroblivion.com website :
Welcome to Morroblivion.com, a community about mods that merge the amazing world of The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind into more modern game engines.
There is no doubt in my mind that eventually that the more modern game engine will be OpenMW. So it marries the 10,000+ of man hours that have gone into overhauling Morrowind within the morroblivion/skywind community and the efforts with this project.

I imagine it could be just like Morrowind Graphics and Sound Overhaul driven install, but its going to target more elements that Orge3D can do.
Hrawwaaaa

Post by Hrawwaaaa »

indiedeveloper wrote: There is no doubt in my mind that eventually that the more modern game engine will be OpenMW. So it marries the 10,000+ of man hours that have gone into overhauling Morrowind within the morroblivion/skywind community and the efforts with this project.

I imagine it could be just like Morrowind Graphics and Sound Overhaul driven install, but its going to target more elements that Orge3D can do.
that is a great idea.
replacing NPC/Player-Models as well as creature models, along with better animations, is pretty much the last overhaul, after improving worldspace statics and textures, that would finally make the experience of an up-to-date Morrowind perfect.
needless to say that this is a massive endeavor. i don't know where OpenMW modders would get resources for new Playermodels from. they probably would have to be created from scratch. IF anyone ever would be willing to do this, it could at least be done in a way that Oblivion and Skyrim clothing and armors could be attached to the new made bodyparts. because, obviously, all clothing and armor would have to be updated aswell. but this way, OpenMW could make use of the massive amount of custom made Oblivion and Skyrim armors, from projects like Skywind, Morroblivion and many other small mods, and avoid to make EVERYTHING from scratch.

this is all post 1.0 brainstorming, but i'm convinced one day the project will reach a point where this will come into consideration.
indiedeveloper

Post by indiedeveloper »

IF anyone ever would be willing to do this, it could at least be done in a way that Oblivion and Skyrim clothing and armors could be attached to the new made bodyparts. because, obviously, all clothing and armor would have to be updated aswell. but this way, OpenMW could make use of the massive amount of custom made Oblivion and Skyrim armors, from projects like Skywind, Morroblivion and many other small mods, and avoid to make EVERYTHING from scratch
Its important to note that probably another attempt at creating Morrowind in Bethesda engine wont happen until a possibly TES7. I could be wrong but it really is an enormous effort and I think the core teams who either worked morroblivion and skywind would have to question the value of doing it all over again. What I'm getting at is that I'd see OpenMW as the potential candidate to focus attention on rather than the a TES6 or TES7 engine.

What might happen is that the developers and team from Morroblivion/Skywind might actually start developing the branch that works with new bodies, animations and effects, so we would have to look at Orge3D and see what can be done to push it capabilities. We have great coders, as well as modellers and animators. It might be that we export the models/shaders/effects to a format which is best suited for Ogre3D support. At that stage the branch will be redesigned read in that format. Of course it might just be that its reads in the Skyrim format, which opens up a big juicy can of possibilities, but I wont get ahead of myself.

I'd say for things like armour and clothing which is modeled around a Skyrim shape body this is what would be used. We could use one of the newer skeletons and body types made for Skyrim to avoid any copyright issues. Also there is probably custom animations for most actions created by modders.

I haven't mentioned anything about this on the Morroblivon forums (yet), for the simply fact that its a bit hard to envision past the goals of releasing a beta version of Skywind. I know it will be the same for the teams on this project with only having enough energy and focus on a release 1.0. But you can see what I'm getting at, 2 large forums coming together for the love of a game. Hope some other can see the potential in the coming years for this as well?
sirherrbatka

Post by sirherrbatka »

Oh well, I think that currently we can agree that:
  • OpenMW will allow using higher quality, modern content.
  • This content has to be created, not by gods, spirits but by human beings.
The rest is nothing more than a speculation. I hope that we will be able to forge wider alliance after 1.0.0, but at the moment there is no clear way to go.
Hrawwaaaa

Post by Hrawwaaaa »

sirherrbatka wrote:This content has to be created, not by gods, spirits but by human beings.
all we wanted to point out is that there is already tons of usable content available from other projects which, if it gets incorporated, could save people a lot of work.