Ogre Particle Lab sources released

General discussion regarding the OpenMW project.
For technical support, please use the Support subforum.
ElderTroll

Ogre Particle Lab sources released

Post by ElderTroll »

Hey Devs,

The Ogre3d developer, Akem, released the sources to Ogre Particle Lab http://www.ogre3d.org/forums/viewtopic. ... 9&start=25.

Could this be useful for OpenMW or is an alternate route better suited to our needs planned? I remember I was excited by the Ogre camera library, but that dependencies on simple libraries are frowned upon. Either way, I look forward to seeing gorgeous particle effects (but I'm patient). :D
Greendogo

Re: Ogre Particle Lab sources released

Post by Greendogo »

The post he's referring to is at the bottom of the page: http://www.ogre3d.org/forums/viewtopic. ... 25#p472403

Here's the readme:
Spoiler: Show
ps - I think there are better middleware options than this out there, if middleware is the way the programmers want to go. For example, HellHeaven FX looks better and seems to have a lot more recent activity (not sure on the license though).
Zini

Post by Zini »

I think we are mixing some things up here. Ogre Particle Lab seems to be an editor for particle effects.

HellHeavenFX seems to be an extension to Ogre, which also comes with an editor.

Before we even start to consider adding another dependency, we need to determine what kind of particle effects MW requires. It is very well possible that we can handle it with the OGRE's stock particle system. Not sure if we need an external editor at all.
Greendogo

Post by Greendogo »

Yeah, I kind of thought that Ogre would have something for it already.

But that's an interesting point, Zini, would you want to give people the ability to edit the particle effects in the OMW Editor, or does that fall outside its purview since it's a form of asset creation?

Particle effects aren't something people did a lot of with Vanilla Morrowind. Is that because there was a lack of particle effect editors that could create compatible effects? If so, what could be done to make it easier for OMW modders to make their own particle effects?
Zini

Post by Zini »

But that's an interesting point, Zini, would you want to give people the ability to edit the particle effects in the OMW Editor, or does that fall outside its purview since it's a form of asset creation?
The latter.
ElderTroll

Post by ElderTroll »

Thanks for clearing that up zini. Well it's still nice to know that there is such a wealth of utilities in the ogre community that modders will be able to take advantage of.