Donation

General discussion regarding the OpenMW project.
For technical support, please use the Support subforum.
Greendogo

Re: Donation

Post by Greendogo »

It's not. :D

@Zedd: I know, I was saying that mostly to Br0ken.
ElderTroll

Post by ElderTroll »

I agree that for an engine reimplementation it is probably better not to do fundraising. However, I disagree in general that open source projects can't benefit from financial backing. Many large scale open source projects do in fact have corporations paying their staff to develop it. Linux is an example of this.

Other projects have foundations which fundraise and accept donations in order to pay staff. I believe blender and vlc are examples of this.

VLC also recently had a succesful kickstarter to fund the development of the Windows 8 version of their project. http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/106 ... ence-metro
VLC is a hugely popular open source project. In many cases, informed members of the public would like to give money back to the developers for making their projects free and the sources available.

It's true that some developers may be annoyed if someone else on the project is getting paid while they are not. Only time will tell if that contributes to a project becoming less popular with developers. More open source projects will start using crowdfunding to speed up development or tackle specific issues. Public crowdfunding is a new reality that some open source projects will embrace. We should sit back and see what happens. It's likely to be interesting.
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

I don't think anyone disagrees with you ElderTroll.

VLC had a need for a Win8 frontend, no one was willing to spare their free time to develop the client for that platform, so a kickstarter made sense. Opensource is about contributing to something out of your own interest, which is often self-serving. My company, just like other companies get a benefit out of Linux and contribute to it. Which is a good thing, but still self-serving.

I don't think anyone on these forums is going to develop features for the FreeBSD people, but I'm sure there are FreeBSD people out there glad that we are no longer using nvidaCG exclusively. It is however up to them to make sure OpenMW works on FreeBSD.

Which comes back to developers here wanting to spend their spare time on this project on things they think are important. If someone, outside of OpenMW, wants to pay someone to develop support for Solaris (for example), that is their option to do so. The patches will likely be reviewed and merged. When the money runs out, will that same person keep supporting OpenMW on Solaris? I honestly think that once the money is used, there will be no more maintenance support and no one here will give a damn about making sure OpenMW works on Solaris.

I hope you see my point.
ivankolmycheck

Post by ivankolmycheck »

What about the donations as "I like your project and what you already have done, so, guys, I want to contribute to your coffee/tea/cookies pool"?

That kind of donations is a gratitude for time and efforts, that you have already spent working on OpenMW.

Would you like to accept such donations?

P.S. BTW, in this case no one (not even Bethesda) can claim, that you're spending this money for further work on OpenMW. Do whatever you want: you can spend some extra free time, hire an extra developers, or... do nothing and just buy yourself a coffee or beer. Decision is up to you.
Tarius

Post by Tarius »

ivankolmycheck wrote:What about the donations as "I like your project and what you already have done, so, guys, I want to contribute to your coffee/tea/cookies pool"?

That kind of donations is a gratitude for time and efforts, that you have already spent working on OpenMW.

Would you like to accept such donations?

P.S. BTW, in this case no one (not even Bethesda) can claim, that you're spending this money for further work on OpenMW. Do whatever you want: you can spend some extra free time, hire an extra developers, or... do nothing and just buy yourself a coffee or beer. Decision is up to you.
No, they can claim that because work is still underway etc etc etc
sirherrbatka

Post by sirherrbatka »

Maybe we can choose any charity organisation so if anyone wants to pay he can pay for a good cause?
ivankolmycheck

Post by ivankolmycheck »

sirherrbatka wrote:Maybe we can choose any charity organisation so if anyone wants to pay he can pay for a good cause?
You also can choose other FOSS game project which needs donations: or FOSS projects that are used by OpenMW: OGRE, OpenAL, etc.
bobbflocka

Post by bobbflocka »

Well this sucks..........I wish I could given some 50 bucks
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

Please donate your 50 to:
http://www.ogre3d.org/donations

they need it more than we do, and we (and others) benefit from their work.

The better Ogre3d is, the better OpenMW is.

You can likely leave a message, something along the line of: "For the betterment of OpenMW and mindkind..." ;)