Impressions of 0.18

General discussion regarding the OpenMW project.
For technical support, please use the Support subforum.
Lazaroth

Re: Impressions of 0.18

Post by Lazaroth »

Zini wrote:Care to add an issue to the tracker?
Done.
Zini wrote:
Lazaroth wrote: 2. Lava has a seam problem.
http://imageshack.us/a/img21/4414/screenshot000hz.png
Did you check, if the same happens in Morrowind? There a a few places that have this kind of problem in MW AFAIR.
I checked and there is indeed a problem in Morrowind as well, however you really have to look in order to see it in Morrowind, where as it's quite pronounced in OpenMW.

OpenMW:
http://imageshack.us/a/img21/4414/screenshot000hz.png

Morrowind:
http://imageshack.us/a/img854/3314/screenshot0z.jpg

I also had an odd experience taking the vanilla screenshot. The lava pool I used can be found just a bit east of Sulipund, to the left of the path. I made a quicksave because I forgot to enable screenshot saving, but when I loaded the quicksave, everything looked normal, no seam problem. I then coc sulipund, and went back out. Now you could see the seam problem once again. Very strange.
For anyone interested I attached a save.
quiksave.rar
(198.87 KiB) Downloaded 205 times
Zini

Post by Zini »

It's something that should be fixed anyway, I think. NPCs shouldn't show up naked and decide to put on some clothes a moment later.
This is a problem I would normally be willing to let slide. It is only a very minor glitch and once we start preloading cells it will mostly go away on its own anyway.
However I recently run into a problem regarding the way objects are initialised while having a go at a constness fix (its on the tracker). Looks like we have to move away from lazy initialisation, which also should fix the naked NPC problem. But doesn't have priority for me.
FWIW, I can try implementing the proper alpha modes again. I remember you mentioned problems with it in your mod, and couldn't show/describe the problem, but that was before the rewrite to avoid using submeshes. If it had something to do with alpha sorting, it may have been fixed.
There is an issue for it on the tracker. But I think scrawl has written a fix for that already. We just couldn't use it, because of the problems you mentioned.
I meant the profiling bit you were talking about before, in post 10577. My question was basically: "Is the profiling, you meantioned, something only one of the devs can do?" I think "Yes" is the feeling I'm getting from more recent posts
Sorry, but that is a coder's task. If you need to ask this question, then you are probably not qualified to do it.
Greendogo

Post by Greendogo »

Zini wrote:Sorry, but that is a coder's task. If you need to ask this question, then you are probably not qualified to do it.
Good, it sounded complicated. I just felt responsible for fixing my own problem, is all.
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

I just tried 0.18 on Ubuntu Quantal (12.10) and I got this:

Spoiler: Show
ERROR: OGRE EXCEPTION(2:InvalidParametersException): No shared parameter set with name 'gammaCorrection'! in GpuProgramManager::createSharedParameters at /build/buildd/libogre-static-1.8.0/OgreMain/src/OgreGpuProgramManager.cpp (line 194)
This was against a statically compiled ogre, I will try again with dynamically linked version provided by Ubuntu.

update: scrawl solved that particular problem because of shiny (latest build) conflicting with a normal release. To work around this: rm ~/.cache/openmw

I'm now hitting my head against a seg fault.
Myckel

Post by Myckel »

Just downloaded the tarball to see if I could get the ebuild (Gentoo Linux installation script) back into shape. Ran into building problems (outside of portage):

During configuration:

Code: Select all

CMake Warning (dev) at CMakeLists.txt:444 (add_subdirectory):
  The source directory

/home/myckel/Software/zinnschlag-openmw-b5e8162/extern/shiny

does not contain a CMakeLists.txt file.

CMake does not support this case but it used to work accidentally and is
  being allowed for compatibility.

Policy CMP0014 is not set: Input directories must have CMakeLists.txt.  Run
  "cmake --help-policy CMP0014" for policy details.  Use the cmake_policy
  command to set the policy and suppress this warning.
This warning is for project developers.  Use -Wno-dev to suppress it.
I ignored it and continued with building:

[  5%] Building CXX object components/CMakeFiles/components.dir/nifogre/ogre_nif_loader.cpp.o
/home/myckel/Software/zinnschlag-openmw-b5e8162/components/nifogre/ogre_nif_loader.cpp:44:41: fatal error: extern/shiny/Main/Factory.hpp: No such file or directory
compilation terminated.
make[2]: *** [components/CMakeFiles/components.dir/nifogre/ogre_nif_loader.cpp.o] Error 1
make[1]: *** [components/CMakeFiles/components.dir/all] Error 2
make: *** [all] Error 2
lgromanowski
Site Admin

Post by lgromanowski »

Myckel wrote:Just downloaded the tarball to see if I could get the ebuild (Gentoo Linux installation script) back into shape. Ran into building problems (outside of portage):

During configuration:

CMake Warning (dev) at CMakeLists.txt:444 (add_subdirectory):
  The source directory

/home/myckel/Software/zinnschlag-openmw-b5e8162/extern/shiny

does not contain a CMakeLists.txt file.

CMake does not support this case but it used to work accidentally and is
  being allowed for compatibility.

Policy CMP0014 is not set: Input directories must have CMakeLists.txt.  Run
  "cmake --help-policy CMP0014" for policy details.  Use the cmake_policy
  command to set the policy and suppress this warning.
This warning is for project developers.  Use -Wno-dev to suppress it.
I ignored it and continued with building:

[  5%] Building CXX object components/CMakeFiles/components.dir/nifogre/ogre_nif_loader.cpp.o
/home/myckel/Software/zinnschlag-openmw-b5e8162/components/nifogre/ogre_nif_loader.cpp:44:41: fatal error: extern/shiny/Main/Factory.hpp: No such file or directory
compilation terminated.
make[2]: *** [components/CMakeFiles/components.dir/nifogre/ogre_nif_loader.cpp.o] Error 1
make[1]: *** [components/CMakeFiles/components.dir/all] Error 2
make: *** [all] Error 2
You need to run:
git submodule init && git submodule update
because it probably doesn't contain Shiny module.
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

Use the tarball provided here:
https://launchpad.net/~openmw/+archive/ ... ig.tar.bz2

the one uploaded to google was without the shiny submodules by mistake. It will be fixed.
Myckel

Post by Myckel »

Ok, thank you will take the new tarball. Git isn't an option (adds extra dependencies).