openmw is good

General discussion regarding the OpenMW project.
For technical support, please use the Support subforum.
mikeprichard

Re: openmw is good

Post by mikeprichard »

psi29a wrote: 14 Apr 2021, 14:03 It was indicated though that NullCascade would be willing to work with OpenMW to deprecate some features and create abstractions that could be used as well in OpenMW so that eventually mods, provided they stick to these abstractions, would work on both mwse-lua and openmw-lua. Anything engine specific however would be exclusive to their Implementation however.
Hmm, I didn't know about that either - interesting! My assumption however is that this will be essentially irrelevant by the time this would likely be implemented anyway, as by that time - with full OpenMW Lua functionality available and many more mods having "caught up" by being adapted/recreated for OpenMW use - practically everyone would be playing OpenMW instead of vanilla in the first place. With things like shadows, distant land, etc. already becoming a thing in OpenMW on top of its existing fundamental use/stability/performance benefits over vanilla, the lack of MWSE-type support is really the only remaining valid item delaying this final player base conversion from vanilla to OpenMW.

Maybe I'm just biased, though - I've been playing exclusively on OpenMW for years already myself, and have no intention of ever going back to the old days of vanilla.
Ebonair

Post by Ebonair »

tes3mp matured on its own merits and there wasn't any rift between tes3mp which is a long living branch that closely tracked openmw. The idea being that in long-term it would get merged into openmw.
Is that still the plan? Looks like there hasn't been any work on tes3mp for over two years.
sanchezman

Post by sanchezman »

Ebonair wrote: 15 Apr 2021, 16:52 Is that still the plan? Looks like there hasn't been any work on tes3mp for over two years.
2 years on the master branch yes, but branch 0.7.1 was being actively developed last summer. The Readme.md suggests that tes3mp is basically feature-complete at this point, so perhaps there's not a pressing need to develop it further for the time being.
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

Correct, with 0.47 about to drop then tes3mp can rebase on top of that which would be fine as it would benefit for openmw's distant objects/lands and lighting fixes. That being said, tes3mp will eventually merge into openmw anyway. What do you think is going to happen after that?
Pop000100

Post by Pop000100 »

sanchezman wrote: 15 Apr 2021, 19:42 2 years on the master branch yes, but branch 0.7.1 was being actively developed last summer. The Readme.md suggests that tes3mp is basically feature-complete at this point, so perhaps there's not a pressing need to develop it further for the time being.
David back dates the commits so fixes, say they are older than they are. The July 7 commit is actually like 5 days old. He does this so fixes are from the same time as the breaking changes, to make it easier to eventually merge with mainline OpenMW.