Freshmeat and Ohloh

A generic talk on the OpenMW project.
lgromanowski
Site Admin

Freshmeat and Ohloh

Post by lgromanowski »

raevol wrote: So I'm looking at the Freshmeat and Ohloh pages for OpenMW. Between those, sourceforge, and the main website, we've got 4 instantiations of the project on the net? Is that overkill or is that normal?
sir_herrbatka wrote: We have no choice. Let's just put true state of the project there.
Zini wrote: Freshmeat and Ohloh are open source directories and as such a completely different business from our own page, github or sourceforge.

I don't think we should maintain a presence at sourceforge any longer. We don't have access to the OpenMW account there anyway and we don't actually need sourceforge for anything (plus since they started to revamp it, it looks like crap).
Star-Demon wrote: I have never heard of the Ohloh or freshmeat. I love finding good open source games. There really isn't one good place to find the stuff, though.

I don't know what the benefits to sourceforge are other than file hosting and searching.
Zini wrote: Please make sure that Ohloh is tracking my fork. Not sure, if freshmeat has any tracking features.
raevol wrote: Cool, I'll keep those two updated then. I'll get them fixed up when I get home from work today. :)
raevol wrote: Updating the summary on Ohloh, are the "technologies" that openMW uses listed on the Wiki up-to-date? See:

http://openmw.org/wiki/index.php?title= ... nMW_Use.3F

If any of those technologies are not implemented yet, could we list them with (planned) next to them?

Also, should I remove Niko's git from ohloh, or have both repos listed?

EDIT: Tadaaaa!: https://www.ohloh.net/p/openmw/commits
raevol wrote: Spammin' up this thread, but: It seems I can't "manage roles" on the freshmeat page, and my changes there are now "pending approval". If Niko sees what I've done he's going to think I'm hijacking the project, hope he checks here first. ;)
Zini wrote:
Updating the summary on Ohloh, are the "technologies" that openMW uses listed on the Wiki up-to-date?
This list is up to date. Bullet is not integrated yet. But there is already preliminary work going on. You can add "planned", if you want, but most likely we will remove it again in a week or two.

You can remove Nico's repository, if that is possible.
If Niko sees what I've done he's going to think I'm hijacking the project
That wouldn't be such a bad thing. At least it would make him show up again.
Zini wrote: Maybe we also should resurrect the OpenMW thread on the OGRE forum?
Star-Demon wrote:
Zini wrote:Maybe we also should resurrect the OpenMW thread on the OGRE forum?
Sure.

On a side note:
OGRE really needs more developers willing to share techniques and understanding of the system so people can get started.

Actually, OGRE needs a lot of things. It's a very intimidating package of stuff and really needs a lot more love and care. If we're supporting OGRE by using it I emplore people to contribute if they want it to be used at the lower levels.
raevol wrote: That sounds like a good idea to me.
Chris wrote:
Star-Demon wrote:If we're supporting OGRE by using it I emplore people to contribute if they want it to be used at the lower levels.
I had suggested using Ogre at a lower level once before. Ogre's VFS routines should be fine for anything OpenMW would need. OgreAL (while I wouldn't recommend using it specifically) shows how you can almost-seemlessly merge sounds into the scene graph. Ogre's ResourceManager can be derived from to handle other resource types, and it's Codec class would work fine for decompressing audio.

Thing is, though, quite a lot of this is Mangle's territory. Which means, people who are familiar with Ogre would have to learn Mangle (which for all intents and purposes, is OpenMW-specific) instead of being able to get right in with their Ogre knowledge.. and people who don't know Ogre would have to learn OpenMW-specific Mangle instead of/in addition to Ogre, the latter of which would be more useful in the long run.
Star-Demon wrote: You're probably right, but I meant in the context of OGRE's endeavors instead of ours.