Universal follow ai script for companions

Feedback on past, current, and future development.
lgromanowski
Site Admin

Universal follow ai script for companions

Post by lgromanowski »

Vance987 wrote: Ello everybody. I have no idea if I'm posting this in the right section.... so let the moderator move this if necessary.
I've been able to get morrowind installed on my little 4 gb flash drive... downloading a bunch of mods and stuff. But now my official patch download isn't working because morrowind isn't in it's regularly placed directory.... but this isn't what I'm posting about.
I'm sick of tired of the naked nord that I try to find his axe getting stuck between rocks all the time when I'm running over hills and such. Is there ANY mod out there that changes all of the regular (NOT MODDED) companions out there? I've found one about 2 years ago... but since my computer exploded, I can't really figure out what that mod was called any more... So if anybody can help me find that mod.... I would really appreciate it. Oh... and I remember the mod used Grumpy's companion script for a universal one.
And I would also appreciate it if open mw would have a new follow script... and possibly a new combat script for more realistic human interaction. Thanks.

PS: Please don't tell me it doesn't exist, because I remember I used to have it... but I've been searching allover pes and tesnexus all day long (today)... but I can't find it. :(
Sslaxx wrote: No idea, sorry. The Morrowind Code Patch and/or Morrowind Patch Project do nothing about it?
sir_herrbatka wrote:
No idea, sorry. The Morrowind Code Patch and/or Morrowind Patch Project do nothing about it?
Nope.

We surely need better path finding. But who knows how to actualy code AI?
Vance987 wrote: No Sslaxx, the morrowind code patch mainly just fixed bugs for me. I didn't find anything about new ai for npc's. And there has been a great mod made by Grumpy:

http://lovkullen.net/Emma/Comanion_project.htm

That warps the npc back to you if it gets lost. But I can't seem to find any mods that take advantage of this script and put it into every single npc that can follow you. I used to have a mod like that.... and I was VERY LUCKY... But I forgot to write down the url.... and now I'm stuck at square one again. D: I'm so dumb. :(
Vance987 wrote: Good news, after searching for a mod for 3 days... I finally found something I'll like.

http://planetelderscrolls.gamespy.com/V ... ail&id=316

It doesn't use Grumpy's companion script though... but increases the npc's speed and warps them to you if they get lost. But the npcs are still dumb as usual.
sir_herrbatka wrote: This is not what we are looking for. Warping can break some morrowinds mods...

We need better path finding, but what else?
Pahanilmanlintu wrote: All i know of automatic pathfinding is that it's really difficult to do. That's why games have pathgrids. Afaik there are no simple ways to calculate a "path of least resistance" (the route between two places that seems obvious to humans), except calculating every possibility at the same time using a quantum computer and picking the easiest... :)

But some years ago (3-7 years or so) i was looking at an interesting article somewhere that explored an automatic method. It involved fitting cubes inside the empty, traversable space of 3d environments (like caves), and trying to make out a continuation of "cube-space" that would effectively mean a traversable route.

But maybe there are Ogre plugins these days. And since a lot of people have extra cpu cores, possibly even a rather heavy solution might do as long as it's properly multithreaded.

Edit: actually there's plenty of material available. This MicroPather seems to be free.
Also, some general information: http://www-cs-students.stanford.edu/~am ... html#paths
nicolay wrote:
Pahanilmanlintu wrote:Edit: actually there's plenty of material available. This MicroPather seems to be free.
Also, some general information: http://www-cs-students.stanford.edu/~am ... html#paths
Wow, thanks a bunch for those links! I was just thinking about this the other day. MicroPather looks great.

The path finding in Morrowind is truly awful. I never quite understood why pathing in 3D games is often so terrible. Since you're nearly always moving in a 2D plane (along the ground), you could just precompute a rough 2D version of your map and use 2D algorithms, which are excellent. Not perfect but would still be much better than Morrowind, which manages to get soldiers stuck in the walls even WITH the help of path grids.

There's also a newer (?) method called the fast marching method (http://math.berkeley.edu/~sethian/) but I don't know how it compares to more tested ones like A*.

In any case, we can surely include all the features of the follow-script mods as native features if necessary, including warping and increased speed. But I'm pretty optimistic about improve the pathing of creatures and NPCs too.
Zini wrote:
Since you're nearly always moving in a 2D plane (along the ground), you could just precompute a rough 2D version of your map and use 2D algorithms
Strictly that isn't true. Even in Morrowind you are moving in three dimensions. You have multiple floors, bridges and more. Games with better landscapes (e.g. Gothic) usually don't use a heightmap at all, which makes 2D even less an option.
Vance987 wrote: Going over hills is especially a real pain in the butt. And don't get me started about mountains. 2d plains would work to a certain degree, it would take off a little bit of lag, maybe 2fps, but it would certainly not work on bumpy surfaces. If you could make the ai a little better, that would take a burden off my shoulders. :3 Oh and Nico, are you off your vacation? lol
Vance987 wrote: Your right.... it BREAKS QUESTS. UGH I'm so irritated and annoyed!!!! I spent 10 minutes getting some old lady to pray at this one place, but now I'm there and she still tells me to take me there... BUT I'M THERE!!!! OMB!!!! >=O Stupid lady, I feel like killing her.
Vance987 wrote: Sorry, I overreacted. -_- But I still killed her. :twisted: