Destructible Objects

Feedback on past, current, and future development.
lgromanowski
Site Admin

Destructible Objects

Post by lgromanowski »

Malek wrote: So I was wondering if OpenMW might be implementing a destructible feature to some of the objects in Morrowind like misc pottery and some containers, like crates or barrels to the game's physics or whatever. Because I remember finding it very up setting in Oblivion that when you hit an object it would just go flying.
sir_herrbatka wrote: Next to impossible :(

Destructible objects requires much more than just good physic engine, there should something that tells the game how things cracks. For example when you hit wooden pole with axe you may:
a) split (maybe partial) it to two
b) make little scratch

but if you hit with axe ordinary plate you surly won't split it into two. Then you will need have to something that will calculate this peaces, that generates new meshes, adds correct textures to every little fragment, and calculate trajectory of fragments. Almost impossible to do it in real time (but maybe usage of newest videocards may help) + you will need plenty of new data to describe how collapse every thing in morrowind.

creating tools for this would be big project.

But it may be possible to make destructible terrain (fireballs etc.). It probably doesn't make sense. ;)
Malek wrote:
sir_herrbatka wrote:Next to impossible :(

Destructible objects requires much more than just good physic engine, there should something that tells the game how things cracks. For example when you hit wooden pole with axe you may:
a) split (maybe partial) it to two
b) make little scratch
But wouldn't it be possible to give certain items a health meter and "death" animation? I'm just talking about simple destruction, like breaking some jars or crates, scratching a wall or tree, maybe cutting up some curtains. Nothing like town demolition or mountain crushing you know? More like breaking stuff in Zelda.
sir_herrbatka wrote: yeah, that would work and would be possible. But this is about artwork, not about engine.
Vance987 wrote: Also you would have to think about the price of items. Changing their prices in real time as they break or crack. Cracked items would be about 30-70% off their total price, and broken items would be 71-100% off the total price. This would take some scripting. Although keep in mind that the weapons do this also. The more wear and tear the weapon has, the more it's price goes down. You could implement those scripts into the misc items. :)
Vance987 wrote: Also you could make it more realistic by decreasing their price and durability by equipping them on the player for too long. Jumping and running could speed up the aging process of the items. But don't make the aging too drastic. There should be a small percent that the items would break or crack while being equipped on the person. Maybe make it 2% chance it will crack every minute while running and/or jumping, and 1% chance it will break every minute while running and/or jumping. There will be a .5% chance it will crack while walking, swimming, crawling, etc. But no chance of breaking if you are moving slowly. What I mean by every minute, is that the dice roll every minute. If the variables go into those percents, then it will crack or break.

Sooooooo, like my ideas? :D
Vance987 wrote: You could also make a crafting skill that lets you repair the broken misc items. Glue, tape, chisels, etc. Whatever they had in medieval times... You could even use the hammer maybe... And the crafting skill could let you make new items. :D I'm just rambling.
sir_herrbatka wrote: damn you spamer! :evil:

I really don't think that would be really worth of the effort you would need to put in to this project, especially when you compare it with any other mod you can do in the same time.
Lordrea wrote: @Vance987: There is an edit button. Seriously!

I think it's a valid project - something that is the reason why OpenMW will be such a boon to mod creators. Interesting concept, and it will be interesting to see if it is done when OpenMW is completed.
sir_herrbatka wrote: Yeah, making EVERYTHING destructible would be probably just pain in the ass but making some crates etc. would be cool. We may build barricades against zombies...
Lordrea wrote:
sir_herrbatka wrote:Yeah, making EVERYTHING destructible would be probably just pain in the ass but making some crates etc. would be cool. We may build barricades against zombies...
Huh! Well, destructable doors/crates between enemies and the player would certainly make gameplay more interesting. Would certainly get rid of the "stick the enemies on the other side of the door and spam area spells" tactic!
pogzy wrote: @Vance987:
There should be a small percent that the items would break or crack while being equipped on the person.
It seems quite too much compared to what is currently in best computer role playing games. Don't forget this is a game; too much realistic could discourage the casual gamer. Moreover, I am keeping for years usb keys in my pocket every day and they never break. I can't imagine a long iron blade breaking because I'm running with it. It should probably be more possible for glass weapons, but it seems to be magical glass because if it were not it couldn't fight against iron weapons :lol:

But the price variation caused by the item degradation is very often in computer game, so yes, it should be fun to have this enable. ;)
Vance987 wrote: @ sir_herrbatka
Wtf I was not spamming. I was just giving ideas. Sorry for giving ideas! Gosh.

@ pogzy
Yeah, I may have gone a little bit too much overboard with the breaking if you are running. I was just talking about the delicate stuff like pottery and bowls. Other misc items such as forks, cups, etc could just do a little price degration over a long period of time. Again, I'm just rambling about future mods people could make once open mw is completed. I didn't even create this topic lol.
pogzy wrote: @Vance987: Keep giving ideas, this is great for devs to see people pushing them to fun things, keep it that way, but don't forget the edit button :lol:
Vance987 wrote: Ok, thanks. ;)
sir_herrbatka wrote: yes but stop giving ideas in separated posts after ~3,5 minutes :P

But you know guys what i would love? Setting things on fire :twisted: Morrowind fire is just so... boring.
Vance987 wrote: Gotcha, and I think there already is a mod for scripted spells that puts things on fire. Idk, correct me if I'm wrong. (I think I'm thinking about a mod for oblivion...)
sir_herrbatka wrote: aaah dude... who cares about oblivion anyway? ;)
Vance987 wrote: To be honest... not me lol. I hate oblivion. AHHHH, lets get back on topic.
Guest wrote: Perhaps a way around the Value bit would be to have them be like people? Take away the talking script and it could just die, leaving a corpse, or pile of rubble that you could search through for pieces of the original container (non-pickpocketable) and its contents (pickpocketable)
silentthief wrote: IIRC, there are MW mods that make activators that do stuff like this. I mean, what you have is some kind of interaction (hitting the object with a normal attack) and it produces a result (animation). right?

Now, if you want to make everything destructable, you can do this kind of thing in MW, if you feel like doing the work. It would involve taking all the statics, and making them not static. For example, changing a table (static) into a breakable table (activator) requires that you make the animation for the table getting chopped in half, with the right program (3ds max)... but you could do it. It would NOT require serious developer work, as long as the standard MW things are there: reading a 3d mesh with animation, and scripting.

ST
ps, I am not against the idea of a totally destructive environment but you'd have to figure out the details, like if you break thru a wall in an interior what is on the other side?