irrlicht / irrklang?

Feedback on past, current, and future development.
lgromanowski
Site Admin

irrlicht / irrklang?

Post by lgromanowski »

tangent wrote: hey, i've been considering doing a project similar to openmw for quite some time now, with the exception of using irrlicht as opposed to ogre for the rendering. would the openmw project accept code to optionally compile with irrlicht instead of ogre3d if i was to submit data? also, i would like to inquire why ogre3d was chosen to begin with, as irrlicht supposedly has a strong history of fast, efficient code. thanks
Vance987 wrote: :? .... I'm stumped.
Lordrea wrote: Hrm. Looked around both forums. I have a personal preference towards Ogre after reading up on things, but irrlicht shouldn't be blinked at.

I'd appreciate Nico's thoughts on this thread!
nicolay wrote:
tangent wrote:hey, i've been considering doing a project similar to openmw for quite some time now, with the exception of using irrlicht as opposed to ogre for the rendering. would the openmw project accept code to optionally compile with irrlicht instead of ogre3d if i was to submit data?
Actually, yes we would. The way we're designing the engine, the 3D part should end up modular enough that optionally switching rendering engine could work. I can't promise you that we'd focus on the Irrlicht part for the time being though.
tangent wrote:also, i would like to inquire why ogre3d was chosen to begin with, as irrlicht supposedly has a strong history of fast, efficient code. thanks
Both are large, stable projects and very valid choices (as are other available engines such as CrystalSpace.) When I started it was just a choice - I didn't have experience with any of the engines.