Terrain_outside

Everything about development and the OpenMW source code.
lgromanowski
Site Admin

Terrain_outside

Post by lgromanowski »

Idles wrote: Have you good folks thought about implementing exterior terrain based on the work of Morrowind Graphics Extender (MGE)? It's already feature complete, has an incredibly far draw distance, and is open source. MGE. If MGE's code is appropriated, then it's likely that the only new code required would be to render terrain that is near to the player, using some kind of splatting system (unless MGE also does this, and I'm not aware of it).

Anyway, it sounds to me like a fast way to get terrain in the engine, with minimal work.
Zini wrote: I haven't looked at the code of MGE, but from what I see, it is DirectX based. We are using Ogre3D, which is render-API independent. DirectX-only code is a big No No, especially since the majority of developers is working on Linux.
Greendogo wrote: Well, you could probably just look at what it does, in a technical way. But yeah, developing for Linux AND Windows will require more than just ctrl + V.
athile wrote: I've scanned the code. It's interesting - but not really useful (as a whole) to OpenMW as far as I can tell. It works by acting as a low-level hook into the DirectX calls made by Morrowind and replacing them with a different set of calls that (presumably) improve the overall quality at the expense of additional CPU/GPU time.

This doesn't make a lot of sense for a cross-platform OpenMW where, even if DirectX were the only rendering subsystem, it would be better to improve the original rendering calls as opposed to having a special component intercepting and replacing them :)