Repo/build/setup questions [beginner]

Everything about development and the OpenMW source code.
lgromanowski
Site Admin

Repo/build/setup questions [beginner]

Post by lgromanowski »

ObsidianBlk wrote: Hello,

I've gone through the process I found here on the website for forking the Github repository, cloning it to my computer, building and testing it... that all went fine, but I came across a few questions, just to make sure I'm as close to the same page as you experienced folks...

1) Poking around my fork on Github, it shows that nothing in the master branch of the repo I forked was updated since October 3rd of 2010... is this correct or did I somehow find the wrong openmw repo to fork from? (I forked from korslund/openmw)

2) This may simply be because I have little experience in cmake (I haven't used compiled languages in at least half a decade), but when I build openmw, it builds as a release file... how do I set it so I can build as a debug release? (because I would really like to track down why the program crashes when I want to move to an exterior cell)

3) Obviously, theres sources on the web to obtain this information, but I figured since most of you have been doing this for quite some time, does anyone have a collection of data file reference docs (like for how an ESM or NIF is structured)? I know I can hunt for my own, but I didn't know if there's docs you've come to trust over others.

Thank you Outlanders!
lgro wrote: Hi,
I do the same mistake - you should fork from https://github.com/zinnschlag/openmw.
Zini wrote: Had written a longer answer, but the forum software ate it. :(

2. On Linux, just run OpenMW under gdb. You should get enough debug symbols.

3. There is a link to a partial incomplete/incorrect ESM/ESP documentation on the wiki (Developer References). We don't have documentation for the other file formats (at least none that I know of).
ObsidianBlk wrote:
Zini wrote:Had written a longer answer, but the forum software ate it. :(

2. On Linux, just run OpenMW under gdb. You should get enough debug symbols.

3. There is a link to a partial incomplete/incorrect ESM/ESP documentation on the wiki (Developer References). We don't have documentation for the other file formats (at least none that I know of).
I know about gdb, but when I use it, it says there're no debug symbols, suggesting to me that the executable isn't compiled for debugging but release. I'll dig into the gdb docs a little more, but I think I need to find how to compile the executable with debugging symbols in order to get useful information :)

Igro... thank you very much! I knew something seemed off :)
Zini wrote: Well, how are you building? Via make? Or with an IDE? IIRC at least for Code::Blocks cmake creates separate release and debug targets.
ObsidianBlk wrote:
Zini wrote:Well, how are you building? Via make? Or with an IDE? IIRC at least for Code::Blocks cmake creates separate release and debug targets.
Using the cmake/make combo. CMake builds the make files then I call "make" (aka "make all") which does the compiling. The issue is, when I look at the targets available for make there're no debug targets, so, it's not just a simple matter of "make debug" or anything like that. I'm pretty positive it's a cmake configuration setting (which I had thought I found, but turned out to be wrong) but I don't know what it is.

--edit--
I'm actually taking a look at code::blocks at the moment. Never used it before. See how it feels. Maybe this'll solve the whole debug issue.
ObsidianBlk wrote: Gah! This should be strait forward but I'm missing something. I can't solve my debug build problem. I can get the project to show in code::blocks (v8) but when I attempt to debug, it brings up a message box that, in essence, that the project isn't setup for debugging.

Does anyone have any ideas?
Star-Demon wrote: if Cmake does support making codeblocks projects, I'm imagine you'd have to go back and make sure that Cmake was used correctly, then look in codeblocks project properties to make sure the configuration is correct.

or switch to Visual Studio. :)