Editor manual outdated in downloads

Discuss and help improve OpenMW's infrastructure: Website, Forums, issue tracker and everything having to do with keeping the lights on with OpenMW.
Ravenwing

Editor manual outdated in downloads

Post by Ravenwing »

Speaking of relics, when we updated the downloads page, we should probably have renamed the OpenCS section to OpenMW-CS (although honestly, the first seems more elegant, why did we decide to go away from that?).

This brings up my next point, it's currently pointing to the ancient OpenCS manual pdf, which I believe has been fully replaced by the RTD documentation. If we still want something in downloads, I suggest just a link to the PDF version of our RTD documentation. Personally I think we shouldn't even link to PDF versions of the docs since it's just begging to be outdated again soon, so I'd just take the whole section out.

Which brings me to my next next point. We should add a link to the RTD online documentation (master) to our main navigation bar.
lysol

Re: Editor manual outdated in downloads

Post by lysol »

Ravenwing wrote: 04 Jan 2019, 06:14 Speaking of relics, when we updated the downloads page, we should probably have renamed the OpenCS section to OpenMW-CS (although honestly, the first seems more elegant, why did we decide to go away from that?).
http://forum.openmw.org/viewtopic.php?f ... 944#p19971

OpenCS could just as well be OpenCounterStrike for example.
Atahualpa

Post by Atahualpa »

The OpenMW-CS manual entry is now up to date.

Regarding the quick link to our documentation: I'd add a link "Documentation" right after "Downloads" in the title bar. Is everyone okay with that?
Ravenwing

Post by Ravenwing »

This is when a +1 for posts would be very helpful.
Capostrophic

Post by Capostrophic »

The documentation isn't really finished...
Atahualpa

Post by Atahualpa »

Capostrophic wrote: 04 Jan 2019, 20:40 The documentation isn't really finished...
What do you propose then? Should we add links to single pages (settings, fonts, paths, etc.) to, e.g., the FAQ instead of adding a direct link in the main bar? As far as I know, the documentation is only linked in the wiki main page and the OpenMW .cfg files. Making it more visible would be beneficial, don't you think?
Ravenwing

Post by Ravenwing »

Capostrophic wrote: 04 Jan 2019, 20:40 The documentation isn't really finished...
Neither is the CS, but we don’t hide that away so the public can’t find it.

The docs already answer a large number of basic questions. If we can avoid more tedious questions by posting it I think it’s obvious we should. I’ve answered dozens of questions on reddit simply by posting a link.

Plus, writing documentation is very boring, so perhaps with more eyes on it we’ll get more volunteers to spread the boredom :D
Atahualpa

Post by Atahualpa »

So... Title bar? Yes? No? Any better suggestion?
Jemolk

Post by Jemolk »

Putting it in the title bar certainly seems like a good idea to me. The easier it is to access, the better, I think, both from a documenting progress standpoint and from a question-answering one.
Ravenwing

Post by Ravenwing »

People have had plenty of time to say if they didn’t think this was a good idea. I think you’re free to make the change and if it causes a bunch of fuss, it’s alwasy easy to change it back.