Request: Include Mod Issues / Mod Compatibility (Sub-)Forums

Discuss and help improve OpenMW's infrastructure: Website, Forums, issue tracker and everything having to do with keeping the lights on with OpenMW.
Atahualpa

Request: Include Mod Issues / Mod Compatibility (Sub-)Forums

Post by Atahualpa »

The question for mod compatibility becomes more and more evident. People ask about this on YouTube, in other forums, or on reddit. Alas, we only provide a Mod Compatibility page which, despite its still very limited content, isn't the right place to ask for specific mods, state a problem regarding a mod, or even give us feedback about a mod tested by a user.

So, I ask you: Would you consider it useful to have a separate forum to discuss any problems regarding mods (except for the creation, of course)? We could add it to the General forums or the Technical forums. Maybe something catchy like "Mod Compatibility"?

It would...
  • include a sticky thread with links to our Mod Status Wiki page, general guidelines for mod-testing and mod-reporting, and a link to Cramal's Google form. (I'd set this one up.)
  • include topics with further discussion of tested mods (i.e. bascially outsourced Wiki discussion).
  • allow users to ask questions about specific mods and their OpenMW compatibility.
  • allow users to quickly check if a problematic mod has already been discussed and, if necessary, to create an appropriate thread.
  • allow users / mod authors to give us feedback on mods they have tested themselves (ignoring Cramal's Google form).
  • allow mod authors to communicate potential fixes to certain misbehaviour, e.g. script fixes.
This would allow us to keep the Wiki page clean -- which will become essential if the list of tested mods gets very long. Also, we would concentrate most of the discussion to the easily accessible forums rather than the bug tracker which should prevent miscommunication and make things more visible to the users.

What do you think?
raevol

Re: Request: Include Mod Issues / Mod Compatibility (Sub-)Fo

Post by raevol »

I'm a big fan of this!
lgromanowski
Site Admin

Post by lgromanowski »

Hi,
mod compatibility sub forum has been created. I've put there temporary description: "Place where you can discuss mod compatibility issues" but if you would like to have different one (maybe with some links to wiki, different wording, etc.) feel free to write it here :)
Atahualpa

Post by Atahualpa »

Thanks, lgro! Maybe I'll come up with another wording later but, for now, everything is alright. :)
Atahualpa

Post by Atahualpa »

@lgro:

1. Please change the subforum description to
"Learn about OpenMW mod compatibility, check for problematic mods, discuss issues, and give us feedback about your experience with modded OpenMW."

2. Please close my "Read First" topic and make it sticky. :)

3. Also, is it possible to add a direct link to the Mod Status page which is displayed right below the "Read First" topic?