Mod Status page primary maintainer

Discuss and help improve OpenMW's infrastructure: Website, Forums, issue tracker and everything having to do with keeping the lights on with OpenMW.
Nivim

Mod Status page primary maintainer

Post by Nivim »

Mod Status page wrote:Anyone who is a member of the wiki group can add details of mods they have tested, see the user control panel to get access, or if you are unsure of wiki editing you can message Tinker from the forum member list.
However, Tinker has not edited the page in more than a year; perhaps it should mention someone else or perhaps thread here where people can post entries to the list?

(Not everyone wants to make a second or third account for openmw sites.)

Edit: I'm mentioning this because I sent Tinker a message, but only after that noticed they hadn't logged in for a year. Here is that message for anyone who has edit rights;
On the Morrowind Acoustic Overhaul.
The primary MAO.esm might not work, requiring the player to use EnablePlayerControls to move if they try to use it, but the readme specifically mentions OpenMW;

"A OpenMW specific version of the mod is planned once OpenMW reaches version 1.0. Until then you can use the following separate plugins without issues, as with OpenMW version 0.35:
MAO_2d.esm MAO_3d.esm MAO_Containers MAO_Regions MAO_Vanilla MAO_Weather"

Sokami from the IRC chat has confirmed that these specifications for using a limited version of the mod work for 0.38 as well.
lgromanowski
Site Admin

Re: Mod Status page primary maintainer

Post by lgromanowski »

Nivim wrote:
Mod Status page wrote:Anyone who is a member of the wiki group can add details of mods they have tested, see the user control panel to get access, or if you are unsure of wiki editing you can message Tinker from the forum member list.
However, Tinker has not edited the page in more than a year; perhaps it should mention someone else or perhaps thread here where people can post entries to the list?

(Not everyone wants to make a second or third account for openmw sites.)

Edit: I'm mentioning this because I sent Tinker a message, but only after that noticed they hadn't logged in for a year. Here is that message for anyone who has edit rights;
On the Morrowind Acoustic Overhaul.
The primary MAO.esm might not work, requiring the player to use EnablePlayerControls to move if they try to use it, but the readme specifically mentions OpenMW;

"A OpenMW specific version of the mod is planned once OpenMW reaches version 1.0. Until then you can use the following separate plugins without issues, as with OpenMW version 0.35:
MAO_2d.esm MAO_3d.esm MAO_Containers MAO_Regions MAO_Vanilla MAO_Weather"

Sokami from the IRC chat has confirmed that these specifications for using a limited version of the mod work for 0.38 as well.
Hi,
you can edit wiki yourself - you have to add yourself to the wiki group in User Control Panel.
Nivim

Post by Nivim »

Oh wow, there's one account system for both the forum and the wiki. Thank you, lgro.

Edit: Also, Tinker sent me back this message;
Tinker wrote:Why you telling me this?

I gave up contributing anything to thuis project a long time ago since psi whatever accused me of contributing nothing. I am now creating my own content which I will never share.
So that's why I'm removing the redirection to him. I would add myself instead, but I'm not yet that familiar.
darkbasic

Post by darkbasic »

Tinker wrote:I gave up contributing anything to thuis project a long time ago since psi whatever accused me of contributing nothing.
That's the kind of things I would never want to hear :(
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

A bit of context, he was warned of his behaviour which I and others of the OpenMW team thought were toxic.

This was his response:
Tinker wrote: I do not accept your viewpoint or your warning.

I expressed an opinion which seems to have pissed you off, if you are so small minded and you claim to represent OpenMW team then I do not wish to be further connect with the project, I will stop testing, wiki page maintenance and posting immediately.

You have killed my interest in the project. Goodbye.
So instead of working with the OpenMW team, Tinker would rather rage quit.

Here was the thread in question:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2950#p33226
lysol

Post by lysol »

Really, he rage quitted after that? Strange.

I mean, his posts kinda reminded me of Barry from High Fidelity, and still it's not like psi was being really harsh.

It's a shame, he took a really good initiative starting that wiki page. Then instead of just saying "ok fine" after the small critique, he left.
Atahualpa

Post by Atahualpa »

psi29a wrote: So instead of working with the OpenMW team, Tinker would rather rage quit.

Here was the thread in question:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2950#p33226
And I already started to wonder what might have happened to him... It's a pity. Considering how nice people are on these forums - nah, I don't get it.

Anyway, the mod status page is THE place to go for players who want to check compatibility of their mods, so we'd better extend the list of mods to prevent all of these "Is mod xyz compatible with OpenMW?" questions.

@Nivim: If you'd keep up Tinker's work - that would be awesome. :)
Nivim

Post by Nivim »

Sorry Atahualpa, but now that I'm more familiar with the process I know I wont really have time to test mods and update the list consistently. (Maybe inconsistently though, when I spot stuff.) Putting my name there would also be like saying I would answer questions or solve problems promptly, and I can't guarantee that.
Loriel

Post by Loriel »

Atahualpa wrote:Anyway, the mod status page is THE place to go for players who want to check compatibility of their mods, so we'd better extend the list of mods to prevent all of these "Is mod xyz compatible with OpenMW?" questions.
With negative comments made elsewhere about the Mod Status page, perhaps a wider discussion about the page's value (or lack of) would be useful. Personally I would recommend removing it.

Loriel
Cramal

Post by Cramal »

In current state, the Mod Status page is not really usefull because it does not accurately represent which mods are working or not with OpenMW.

It's mainly due to the low number of mods present on the page and through that the lack of information about most mods.

I think this lack of mods my due to the too big difficulty that is for standard OpenMW user to go there and modify the page, specially for the one that are using a big number of mods that are working almost perfectly : Adding 200 lines in the table from the wiki page takes a lot of times .

Furthermore in the current form, even with a very long list of mods, i don't think that the page would b usefull because of the lack of userfriendly research function.

Maybe having two different pages :

- one with mods known to be working : only a simple list with link to download pages : easy to expand by anyone

- one with mods kown tohave problem, looking similar to the current one : more detail and link to bugs in the bug tracker. Maybe a special list for mods using MWSE could also be usefull