Website

Discuss and help improve OpenMW's infrastructure: Website, Forums, issue tracker and everything having to do with keeping the lights on with OpenMW.
hircine

Re: Website

Post by hircine »

I think we should use OpenMW (that specific capitalization) as the titles,

we can use Open Morrowind in meta data for search engines.

OpenMW i think is the project's identity. lets not even tempt lawyers and just leave it as OpenMW.
lgromanowski
Site Admin

Post by lgromanowski »

hircine wrote:I think we should use OpenMW (that specific capitalization) as the titles,

we can use Open Morrowind in meta data for search engines.

OpenMW i think is the project's identity. lets not even tempt lawyers and just leave it as OpenMW.
OK, title changed.
Star-Demon

Post by Star-Demon »

I haven't been following all this - what's going on?
lgromanowski
Site Admin

Post by lgromanowski »

Star-Demon wrote:I haven't been following all this - what's going on?
OpenMW has been moved to openmw.org because there was a big problems with old site and Lordrea disapear (there wasn't any message from him for about one month or so), please see following topics on old forum:
Something causing redirects to very suspicious site!
Wobsite
sirherrbatka

Post by sirherrbatka »

@igro
Ok, now I see the link.
jvoisin

Post by jvoisin »

Some comments about the main page :

I don't think it's pertinent to have the "Recent Comments" widget, the "Tag cloud" widget, and a calendar widget (btw, is the "Tool" section pertinent ?)
I don't like the three column layout, but maybe it's because I'm using a small laptop.

The banner is really big on my little screen too, but the theme is sober and nice.

I think we need a "forum", and a "wiki" link in the "Home - Downloads - FAQ - Media - The Team" list.

About the website : What will/can we do if lgromanowski disappear ?

@lgromanowski : great job !
lgromanowski
Site Admin

Post by lgromanowski »

ap0 wrote:Some comments about the main page :

I don't think it's pertinent to have the "Recent Comments" widget, the "Tag cloud" widget, and a calendar widget (btw, is the "Tool" section pertinent ?)
I don't like the three column layout, but maybe it's because I'm using a small laptop.

The banner is really big on my little screen too, but the theme is sober and nice.

I think we need a "forum", and a "wiki" link in the "Home - Downloads - FAQ - Media - The Team" list.
Main site layout is temporary, because I didn't have much time to prepare something better. First we need to have all things from old site restored (I think all main things except archive of old forum is done).
About the website : What will/can we do if lgromanowski disappear ?
Zini have administration rights on all site components (main site, forum, wiki, bugtracker), but I don't plan to disappear ;-)
@lgromanowski : great job !
Thank you :)
Zini

Post by Zini »

With lgro as an active developer I have a much better feeling as web admin. I don't think there is much risk of him suddenly disappearing.

Regarding the main site: I agree with the critic points. When we get a new skin for the main page we should:

* avoid 3 column layout; 2 columns at most
* make sure all important site navigation links are located in a single navigation element (the horizontal top bar works as long as we don't get additional links; horizontal navigation bars don't scale well)
* avoid cluttering the main page with elements that are of little or no use
raevol

Post by raevol »

Igro, are you working on a theme for the site already? I would love to dust off my web design skills and do a theme, but it'll probably take me a few days to a week to have the time to sit down with it. And if you've already got one going, I don't want to duplicate effort.
lgromanowski
Site Admin

Post by lgromanowski »

raevol wrote:Igro, are you working on a theme for the site already? I would love to dust off my web design skills and do a theme, but it'll probably take me a few days to a week to have the time to sit down with it. And if you've already got one going, I don't want to duplicate effort.
It would be great if you could make some themes, so users could choose which one will suit better :)

P.S If this wouldn't be a problem would you make similar theme for forum and wiki so all pages would be consistent?