English weekly news translation

Discuss and help improve OpenMW's infrastructure: Website, Forums, issue tracker and everything having to do with keeping the lights on with OpenMW.
raevol

Re: English weekly news translation

Post by raevol »

Nekochan wrote:"After all, OpenMW still has a lot of bugs that need to be fixed."
Also can we say something about winning this? viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2157 Maybe a link to the award page and use their image in the news post?
Nekochan

Post by Nekochan »

Yes sure good idea! :) So this is what we have now after changes:

------------------------------------------------------------
Except for Sir Herrbatka's, who started off the spring with a flu. We also sympathise with those suffering from allergies, who are now walking around with red eyes and runny noses. But despite that we still love this season, and even with all this ruckus surrounding it, we promise that we're not going to stop development. All our top coders are still working for hours on end. We're a veritable beehive of activity, which shows in the work that has been done.

Let's start with bugfixes: there are a lot of them. I would've liked to leave it at that, but then you might feel cheated, so I have to mention at least some of our accomplishments:

- You can now loot corpses without being considered a thief.
- The time it takes to drown is no longer hardcoded.
- You can no longer repair items, recharge enchanted items or create potions in the middle of a fight.
- Any many more fixes...

This update isn't very feature rich, but you have probably gotten used to that by now. After all, OpenMW still has a lot of bugs that must be correct. But that doesn't mean it's completely devoid of features - there's still some news for you:

- Depending on how dark it is, NPCs might use torches.
- When NPCs are done chasing something or someone, they will now return to their default position.
- NPCs can now fight along the vertical axis, so you can no longer chug a levitation potion and pummel those poor, defenceless NPCs into oblivion.

Another good news:
Project of the Month May 2014 - Winner

The third installment of the Project of the Month is over and the game project that could collected the most votes and thus the Project of the Month May 2014 is:
OpenMW

Get the results from http://www.linuxgameawards.org

The http://www.linuxgameawards.org/supporters Linux Game Award supporters will promote OpenMW for one Month starting 1st May.

:)
raevol

Post by raevol »

Looks good! You'll still want to change
Nekochan wrote:After all, OpenMW still has a lot of bugs that must be correct.
to "After all, OpenMW still has a lot of bugs that need to be fixed."
Nekochan

Post by Nekochan »

Thank you for help :) Next post has been posted!
Nekochan

Post by Nekochan »

Hi!

New draft just came out:

Where are the news!?

OpenMW is a project of a month, according to Linux Games Award; considering that we got much more votes than previous winners, we can safely assume that this competition isn't widely known. Which is a pity, because the idea seems interesting, it allows for some recognition of titles that don't get enough promotion.

Browsing the games, I encountered Tales of Maj'Eyal. It sucks you in like a swamp, hence the delay.

But worry not, you English readers will read this post even later, because nekochan (me) took her sweet time. (Yes I spend a nice time in Belgium :) ) :P But back on topic:

When I managed to get better after being sick, I started work on OpenCS, so you can now drag game cells onto the rendering widget, including cells that are visible on the exteriors map. Also, region records can be dragged onto the map to change the cell region.

In the meantime, Zini was working hard on loading documents in OpenCS. Details soon.

Work on OpenMW itself is progressing nicely as well. Scrawl had introduced important fixes to the game's AI (NPCs now become aggressive even if your attack missed). He had also fixed a number of other problems.

Our cache file was cleaned of unnecessary links to long-forgotten libraries (audiare? Can't even remember when we dumped it).

Crime in OpenMW is becoming more like one known from Morrowind. Now monsters can't witness against you (but I think in the future we'll allow setting the flag to allow some creatures to become witnesses: daedra guards in the mage's mansion are a good example.

For the dessert: OpenMW 0.30.0 is approaching fast, and it includes a huge number of bug fixes. You're gonna like it!
Okulo

Post by Okulo »

You change perspective a few times, from Herrbatka to you and then back. It's a bit confusing. All of this is also written from Herrbatka's perspective, when last week the post was written from your own perspective. Perhaps you want to try and find what works best for you. Consistency and all that.

People with more knowledge of what is going on in development should definitely double check this. eg. is "loading documents in OpenCS" accurate?

Where's the news?

As you've heard last week, OpenMW won the honour being the Linux Games Award's Project of the Month. Considering that we got many more votes than the competition, one can safely assume that those other games are not widely known. That is a bit of a pity, because these Awards are an interesting way to give some games that otherwise don't get enough promotion their due recognition.

Browsing through the games, I encountered a game called Tales of Maj'Eyal. It sucks you in like quicksand so that explains the delay. Well, that and the English translator for this newspost taking her sweet time as well. [[I just spent some nice time in Belgium, thank you. - Ed.]]

But let's get back to the topic at hand. I was a bit under the weather, but once I got better I've started working on OpenCS. Now you can drag game cells onto the rendering widget, including exterior cells. Region records can now also be dragged onto the map to change the cell region.

Meanwhile, Zini has been working hard on loading documents in OpenCS. We'll have more details soon.

Work in OpenMW itself is progressing nicely as well. Scrawl has introduced some important fixes to the game's AI. For example, otherwise friendly NPCs will now also become aggressive when you attack them and miss. And that's just one among many fixes.

We also cleaned our cache of unnecessary links to long-forgotten libraries that we no longer use. (Audiare? I don't even when we dumped it).

Crime and punishment in OpenMW is become more and more like Morrowind. Monsters can't function as witnesses to your crimes anymore, for example. In the future we might introduce flags for some creatures that decide whether or not they can function as witnesses, like the daedra guards in the mage's mansion.

And finally, for this week's dessert, we're rapidly approaching OpenMW 0.30.0, and it includes a huge number of bug fixes. You're gonna like it!
Nekochan

Post by Nekochan »

@Okulo
It's more that I was in hurry with it ;)
Thank you for your help!
Okulo

Post by Okulo »

Could you remove your crediting me in the news post? I just like to help out left and right and don't need to be credited. Besides, newsposts are no place for credits like that. ;)
Nekochan

Post by Nekochan »

Um... sorry to keep you waiting...

Almost weekly news

There are still many outstanding bugs, big and small and from time to time we are haunted by HUGE bugs – and there is just no escape from them! It’s only natural that bugs are put in by our friendly developers as they add new functions into software, and we've added soooo many functions already!
As I keep saying from week to week, OpenMW it’s almost ready and we haven't been in a situation where we try to fix one bug only to have more pop up – we call that luck. So you can evaluate our work by taking the problems we fixed as a % of completion. Maybe it’s not extremly exiting but without this we will not release 1.0.0… or if you don’t like to look far ahead, even just 0.30.0.
Version 0.30.0 still isn’t ready, but we are very close. K1ll add so many corrections to improve our package for Linux, Scrawl establishes life records in bugfix category to OpenMW. Other developers are working also very hard. That was a really active week but if we would like show something more than just bug-fixes we really don’t have a choice; only that Zini mentioned 2 weeks ago about his work on improving support for loading the game files to the editor.
And that is all for now. Just be patient and wait for release 0.30.0 – it is so close!
Okulo

Post by Okulo »

There are still many outstanding bugs, both big and small. From time to time we are even haunted by HUGE bugs – and there's just no escaping those! Our friendly developers have added an incredible amount of features and with those come bugs that need to be fixed, so it does make sense that they're in there.

As I keep saying week after week, OpenMW it’s almost ready and we haven't even seen new bugs pop up when we try to fix one of them. Now that's pure luck. At this point you can get a good idea of how far along we are by looking at the amount of problems we have solved. So, sure - maybe the news this week is not extremely exciting but we won't release 1.0.0 if these bugs are in there… nor even just 0.30.0 if you don't like to look into the not too distant future.

Speaking of which, 0.30.0 still isn’t ready, but we are very close. K1ll add a lot of corrections to improve our package for Linux, Scrawl establishes life records in bugfix category to OpenMW. Other developers have also been working hard, of course. Last week was very active, but other than bug-fixes we don't really have much to show for it. The only bit other bit of news is that two weeks ago Zini talked about improving support for loading the game files to the editor.

And that is all for now. Just be patient and wait for release 0.30.0 – we're so close I can almost taste it!

-----

Perhaps some developers could look to the bolded parts. I don't know what to make of this. What happened to which packages? Was there work done on the cmake script? Were some distributions not working correctly?

And what did Scrawl do that are called "life records"? The only thing about life and Scrawl I can find on the activity log is issue 1129, the duration when conjuring an NPC.

Nekochan, for the underlined portion, may I suggest making it a link to this picture? ;)
https://i.imgur.com/YOmDuDV.jpg