Extended Launcher Profiles

Everything about development and the OpenMW source code.
WeirdSexy

Re: Extended Launcher Profiles

Post by WeirdSexy »

Do you guys really not like having the ability to set graphics options and such from a game's launcher? I hate having to launch a game @ 640x480 or whatever the default is the first time and then set all that crap through the in-game "options" (which are usually clunkier and slower than what is permitted in a simple launcher interface). I too am opposed to duplicate UI functionality. But, in this particular case, I think the two objects are abstracted far enough from each other and serve two different purposes. You certainly wouldn't want two ways to change settings in-game.

The UNIX argument of "write a program to do one thing well" is of course valid, but I don't think a "settings" tab adds too terribly much to the launcher. Perhaps this is a matter of preference, though. Just my two cents.

EDIT: to add clarity as to why I think it's nice to be able to change settings outside of a game:
When you change the resolution in a game the screen has to go blank for a moment. Often times, when you change rendering settings like anti-aliasing you are greeted with a message like "You must restart for this change to take effect". All of this just feels like stuff you should be able to do before launching the game.
Zini

Re: Extended Launcher Profiles

Post by Zini »

I hate having to launch a game @ 640x480 or whatever the default is the first time and then set all that crap through the in-game "options" (which are usually clunkier and slower than what is permitted in a simple launcher interface).
If you are doing it only once, then it is even more important to do it right, so chunky and slow certainly aren't an option.

And having a couple of basic graphics default profiles as possible starting points, should get rid of most of the fiddling anyway.