Non-coding jobs

Join the team. This area is for people who want to participate in OpenMW's development in one way or another.
ElderTroll

Re: Non-coding jobs

Post by ElderTroll »

Hey Zedd,

Thanks for your interest in the project and welcome to the team! I was the member corresponding with you on the Morrowind Graphical Overhaul website. I would like a hand updating the various websites we have posts on. What I do currently, but is not static, is merge several of sirrherrbatka's weekly news posts into one single larger post and distribute it across the internet. You had some really good ideas about increasing where we do PR and I'd like to continue brainstorming about that.

But back to the two week/monthly news posts. This new merged document has to be edited down to a readable and interesting state (one facebook user actually said "ugh, so many words" to which I replied "You're free to just look at the pretty pictures"). I usually include; the largest changes, new team members who have made real contributions, and screenshots. People love screenshots.

It's nice if you can find a general theme for the work that's taken place "like this release has focused on bug fixes and stability which will make OpenMW much easier to play" or "Our developers have finished some amazing new graphics and animations making clear what future enhancements are possible". It's best to tailor our message to our audience. Just gamers can see visual enhancements and a small discussion of advanced editing and modding capabilities. More advanced users and modders will be more interested in the editor development and design methodology.

Okay so to reiterate:
1) We have many posts on many websites, forums, etc.
2) It is really important we update them when a version release occurs.
3) It is nice to make one additional post between releases (maybe more if it's a multi-month release).
4) You can do the merging the of sir's posts if you would like. Which I would like as I am teaching myself C++ to have a more direct role in the project (even if it's just grunt work).
5) If you do not want to do the merging, then I'd still be very appreciative if you helped spreading the word at release time. (This would involve us splitting up the sites. Our team member Raevol writes up the release announcements).
6) Let's continue discussing new ways to increase awareness of the project.
7) You should ask Igro for access to the PR section of the forum.
jvoisin

Post by jvoisin »

You can start by updating the outreach page on the wiki.
Zedd

Post by Zedd »

Ok, I can do that, but I'll need some accounts of the websites.
lgromanowski
Site Admin

Post by lgromanowski »

Zedd wrote:Ok, I can do that, but I'll need some accounts of the websites.
For wiki access you need add yourself into wiki group in http://forum.openmw.org/ucp.php?i=176
Zedd

Post by Zedd »

lgromanowski wrote:
Zedd wrote:Ok, I can do that, but I'll need some accounts of the websites.
For wiki access you need add yourself into wiki group in http://forum.openmw.org/ucp.php?i=176
I'm part of it now, but the wiki is very slow atm and I don't know where to find the openMW account passwords of the different sites.
raevol

Post by raevol »

We probably don't want the account passwords listed publically?
Zedd

Post by Zedd »

Been doing some updating of the most important forums but won't be active for the next few days.
vriff

Post by vriff »

Hello
I found out about this project recently and I'd like to help. I don't have much experience with coding ( I tried to set up the development enviroment but I gave up), so I was thinking about helping with bug testing or possibly reversing formulas. However I'm not sure how to go about it. Am I supposed to extract them directly from game files, or from playing the game, or maybe some other way?
lgromanowski
Site Admin

Post by lgromanowski »

vriff wrote:Hello
I found out about this project recently and I'd like to help. I don't have much experience with coding ( I tried to set up the development enviroment but I gave up), so I was thinking about helping with bug testing or possibly reversing formulas. However I'm not sure how to go about it. Am I supposed to extract them directly from game files, or from playing the game, or maybe some other way?
Welcome! :)
About formulas you can read this thread or this one and do it in similar way like other researchers are doing.
GunnerWolf

Post by GunnerWolf »

I've been avidly playing morrowind for several years now, I have the GOTY edition and love nothing more than downloading or creating a new area or feature to the game, OpenMW goes beyond that. I'm really interested in this project, I'm not sure where I'd best fit in, although I know it wouldn't be Coding.

Bug Testing: I can probably attempt this although no guarantee as to my skill, I tend to be a pretty weak "One man Demolition team"

Reverse Engineering Formlae: I love algebra, so this I can do.

Wiki updates: I've made several contributions to Wikis such as Tekkit (Minecraft Mod pack), Minecraft, Dungeon Defenders and Team Fortress 2 so I could have a go at this.

Community Manager: I'm sure I could try this, I don't pride myself on being the best teacher, but answering CAQ'a (Commonly Asked Questions) will be fairly simple.

External Website Maintainer: Wouldn't be my first choice, I'm not all that great at writing intelligent, presentable update posts and such, but, considering I have to constantly update forum posts about my own mods, I guess I'm not that bad at it

OpenMW Website/Forum Designer: At college I'm doing web development, I have a decent grasp on HTML, and some intermediate knowledge of CSS, I believe in a couple of months I will have easily mastered these languages and be moving on to PHP

Conclusion: I think the best choice for me would be Reverse Engineering Formulae. :ugeek: