OpenMW on MacOS

General discussion regarding the OpenMW project.
For technical support, please use the Support subforum.
AP1

OpenMW on MacOS

Post by AP1 »

Hi.

I enjoy using OpenMW, and it's a really great application. I am currently on version 0.47 I believe. Anything higher requires 10.14 Mojave and up. Is there a reason for this? Is there anyway to compile for 10.13 High Sierra?

It's great that you have all the downloads still available. Some developers scrape their site to make sure nobody with an "older" OS can use the software. However, people playing older games like MW are sometimes on older computers. My main computer only goes up to 10.13 officially. The reason it came up was because I wanted to test multiplayer Morrowind, which seemingly needs 0.48.
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Re: OpenMW on MacOS

Post by psi29a »

Yes, because of the requirements needed for support for C++17 and then again for C++20; which means that support of older version of macos had to be abandoned as they do not support some of the fundamental things we make use of in the languages. Apple makes things really hard for us sometimes.

We also have a policy of not supporting EoL (end of life) OSes and libraries which would increase the maintenance burden on us.
AP1

Post by AP1 »

Thanks with the explanation. I disagree with the policy of not supporting EoL OSs. But I understand that Apple makes it really difficult. It seems like if it's not an arbitrary restriction, I'll run into code issues if I try to compile myself?

Also, multiplayer morrowind was tested with 0.48, Any chance it would work with 0.47
akortunov

Post by akortunov »

AP1 wrote: 18 Apr 2024, 16:34 I'll run into code issues if I try to compile myself?
More likely it just will not compile.
AP1 wrote: 18 Apr 2024, 16:34 Anything higher requires 10.14 Mojave and up.
And requirements probably will be even higher in the foreseen future. For example, Qt5 is about EoL while upstream Qt6 requires MacOS 11.
CoolthulhuMan

Post by CoolthulhuMan »

AP1 wrote: 18 Apr 2024, 16:34 Also, multiplayer morrowind was tested with 0.48, Any chance it would work with 0.47
This is not correct. TES3MP (multiplayer) is its own separate program entirely, it doesn't "use" OpenMW. It is based off of OpenMW code, but it is standalone and doesn't even require you to have OpenMW installed at all. Also, the current latest version of TES3MP is based off of OpenMW 0.47.
AP1

Post by AP1 »

Oh. I knew it was separate somehow from OpenMW. I don't know what I read that made me think it was based of of 0.48. This is great then and I will give it a try.