Anyone use this Groundcoverify!

Post about your mods, learn about OpenMW mod compatibility, check for problematic mods, discuss issues, and give us feedback about your experience with modded OpenMW.
Cl3v3rP0tat0

Anyone use this Groundcoverify!

Post by Cl3v3rP0tat0 »

A simple python script which uses DeltaPlugin to turn regular groundcover in morrowind plugins into openmw-style groundcover.

https://gitlab.com/bmwinger/groundcoverify
If I understand it - this would be an intelligent groundcover tool that would use deltaplugin to prevent grass in the wrong areas thus avoiding conflicts and a mess.Effectively making any groundcover mod of choice compatible with any of your active mods

The instructions are rather lacking:

But it still looks promising - if I can figure out how to use it correctly. I can run the command but it complains about the path to deltaplugin - and then there's the matter of what to do with the groundcover esp in OpenMW.

I want to use Turn Normal Grass and Kelp into Groundcover to save FPS but the last time I used a grass mod was with OldWind and MGEX.

So, if anyone interested enough to figure it out, don't be shy!
bmw

Re: Anyone use this Groundcoverify!

Post by bmw »

Cl3v3rP0tat0 wrote: 03 Nov 2023, 21:40 I can run the command but it complains about the path to deltaplugin
Do you mean this exception? That refers to the PATH environment variable. Setting that/putting delta_plugin in the correct place will vary depending on your system, but that's what it uses to figure out where delta_plugin is installed.
Cl3v3rP0tat0 wrote: 03 Nov 2023, 21:40 and then there's the matter of what to do with the groundcover esp in OpenMW.
To quote the README:
The groundcover.omwaddon file should be added to openmw.cfg in the groundcover section, and deleted-groundcover.omwaddon should be added in the content section.
Cl3v3rP0tat0 wrote: 03 Nov 2023, 21:40 I want to use Turn Normal Grass and Kelp into Groundcover to save FPS
This is what Groundcoverify! does. It generates the groundcover instead of using pre-generated plugins so that it works with groundcover from all your mods.
Cl3v3rP0tat0

Re: Anyone use this Groundcoverify!

Post by Cl3v3rP0tat0 »

Wow! so I don't need a ground cover mod? That's awesome - I'll look into the deltaplugin path info linked and try to figure it out.

And thanks - I appreciate your Deltaplugin - it's a joy to use - I just today heard about Groundcoverify - so it has me rather excited! :lol:
UPDATE
I think it worked!

Well, I managed to get it all the to run but still not sure what order to do things - so i ran deltaplugin last with both new groundcover files enabled...but in game - no grass and some missing textures for lilypads and seagrass...I dunno.

/shrug

The absolute problem with genius created tools is that they never get translated coherently into "how to" for the average modder.

I understand how to install and successfully use groundcover in OPENMW - but how that procedure meshes/intersects with Groundcoverify remains a mystery.

The information is clear but not COMPLETE - and not a guide.

For example - before running groundcoverify.py script do I have my OpenMW.cfg set up with installed groundcover mods like I would do normally?
Or do I install grass/ground cover mods a different way BEFORE running the groundcoverify.py script. Obviously, I will have to edit my OpenMW.CFG at SOME POINT in order to follow this step:

Code: Select all

The groundcover.omwaddon file should be added to openmw.cfg in the groundcover section, and deleted-groundcover.omwaddon should be added in the content section.
But what should I do before running groundcoverify.py? Because after successful completion: groundcover.omwaddon file should be added to openmw.cfg in the groundcover section, and deleted-groundcover.omwaddon should be added in the content section... :?