Question: Virtual Keyboard for controller players/Xbox menu system?

General discussion regarding the OpenMW project.
For technical support, please use the Support subforum.
Gamma

Question: Virtual Keyboard for controller players/Xbox menu system?

Post by Gamma »

So I have been using Steam Big Picture mode, and the convenience is very nice. And in doing so, I've been trying to troubleshoot Morrowind to get the game working properly with a controller (Xbox One/DualShock 4). The main trouble is trying to get the virtual keyboard to work. I've mapped the input to my controller properly, but when I manage to get it up after bringing up the Big Picture menu with my PS home button, the keyboard merely makes the sound of being used without appearing. I had to install MGE XE in order to enable Borderless Window mode just to see if it makes a difference, and still it did not. Back to fullscreen, and now the keyboard comes up without allowing itself to interact with Morrowind to type in my character's name. The main thing is using it to name the character. Since we are using a controller (sharing it with a few people who like controllers), it would be nice to simply have that option for things like making spells and whatnot.

My other question is regarding the menus. Allong side the virtual keyboard, would it be possible to mimic the Xbox menus on OpenMW? This game would really benefit from this, and allow for a proper couch gaming experience once thoroughly modded, as it is quite cumbersome using the cursor on 1080p+ UI's and menus with a controller. Calling all modding gurus!

So, that leads me here. Can I do this with OpenMW? Let's just assume I do not have a keyboard for it. (If not, can Morrowind do it since the Xbox version uses a virtual keyboard.)

Edit: It looks like someone made a thread about it back in 2017. viewtopic.php?t=4502
Greendogo wrote: 03 Aug 2017, 08:08 This thread is for discussion of the onscreen keyboard to be used in Gamepad GUI mode.

Here is a picture of the original XBox Morrowind keyboard:

Anyone having a better visual implementation of this ... widget?... should speak up here!

Here's the issue on the tracker for this feature: https://bugs.openmw.org/issues/3985