New installation - a couple of super noob questions

Support for running, installing or compiling OpenMW

Before you submit a bug report for the first time, please read: Bug reporting guidelines
AnyOldName3

Re: New installation - a couple of super noob questions

Post by AnyOldName3 »

I think you might just be underestimating how low-quality the original textures were. If you'd messed up your data directories, then it wouldn't be able to find the content files that reside in them, and you'd be getting error popups about that when the engine started, then it would exit. The fact that you've got in-game means everything's probably working.
pepez

Post by pepez »

well at least the data directories are fine.

things are that when I installed everything with Vortex, I could see the difference - especially in water.

The only difference I see now it's a slight improvement in the trees O_O

Shall I keep going on installing?
I understand I am at a tenth of the overall process but I was under the impression that at least installing the new HD textures I could see some difference
AnyOldName3

Post by AnyOldName3 »

The main things that'll make a visible difference to water are all game settings rather than mods. Are you sure you didn't just forget to enable the water shader in the graphics menu?
pepez

Post by pepez »

AnyOldName3 wrote: 10 May 2023, 19:03 It's easier to keep track of things if you extract mods into sensibly-organised folders rather than random ones, and not all mods have content files (e.g. if they're just a texture replacer), but otherwise that's correct.
so am I supposed to just overwrite the textures? or it's fine if I simply extract them in their own folder and then append it and openmw will do the rest? :)

now i am stuck becasue of an error "Rem-TOTSP.esp not found"
it's quite difficult to do everthing mostly because I really don't understand what I am doing XD
AnyOldName3

Post by AnyOldName3 »

You shouldn't need to overwrite anything. If you've got the same files and folder structure in two data directories, OpenMW will take the duplicated files from the one that appears last in your openmw.cfg.

As for the Remiros' grass errors, the names of some of the ESP files were changed recently, so if you're using the latest version, look at the files you've actually got instead of what modding-openmw.com says.