Alchemy window task

Everything about development and the OpenMW source code.
scrawl

Alchemy window task

Post by scrawl »

I want to take the alchemy window task.
Zini wrote:(this is one of the few cases where a slight GUI redesign might make sense even prior to 1.0)
Could you eleborate a bit more? I would say that the GUI itself is fine, but alchemy skill in general is a bit too strong (also because you can just spam-click to create lots of potions at once).
Zini

Re: Alchemy window task

Post by Zini »

There were a lot of discussions in the Feature Request forum about the Alchemy GUI a while back. And from what I remember the consent was that the original GUI sucked. With which I kinda agree. At least the ingredient selection mechanism is awful.

However I am not planning to go into analysing/re-designing the GUI at this point. If you think it is okay, then you are free to implement it unchanged. The comment you quoted was only meant as an option for the person taking this task.
sirherrbatka

Post by sirherrbatka »

yeah,

The common idea was to expand ingredients list so you wouldn't have to click like any idiot on ingredient field and then searching trough small list of icons.

I guess that minimal change that would make it suck a little bit less is to make the list bigger. In morrowind it's just short stripe. You can make a large window so it will be able to display more at once and everybody will be pleased.
scrawl

Post by scrawl »

Let's do it the original way for now, then. Looks like there wasn't enough agreement / concrete ideas in that thread (and I disagree with some points mentioned in there, too)
I guess that minimal change that would make it suck a little bit less is to make the list bigger. In morrowind it's just short stripe. You can make a large window so it will be able to display more at once and everybody will be pleased.
Ok, not a big deal.
sirherrbatka

Post by sirherrbatka »

thx :*

Also, shift+click for creating as much potions as you can would be awesome but it's optional and if hard to do then let's just skip it imho.
scrawl

Post by scrawl »

New version, I think its good enough.
sirherrbatka

Post by sirherrbatka »

Nice one. Maybe it's possible to center name of the potion but it's not very important.

Good enough :-)
Necrod

Post by Necrod »

I love it, great work!
Okulo

Post by Okulo »

That is hot. Can we use a screenshot of that window next weekend in the update?

Also, what if you space the four Ingredients frames out a bit more so it lines up with the inventory space? Or at least center it relative to the inventory space?
Maybe it's possible to center name of the potion but it's not very important.
Good idea. Or give it a small margin to the left, because it's leaning against the side now.
veepee

Post by veepee »

Suggestion:

I think Skyrim's improvements are great and should be be emulated. That would mean greying out ingredients that are known not to produce anything with the ones you've already picked for brewing. So there would be a behind the scenes list of tried combinations.

Also there could be a list view of known effects based on what ingredient effects are known. Like, there's an entry for an effect if you know it in two or more ingredients. And those entries would be greyed if you don't have necessary ingredients. Picking one that's not greyed would either filter the ingredient view or pop up another window with the filtered content.

edit: oops, i guess this should've been in the feature request thread.