Spam registration wave

Discuss and help improve OpenMW's infrastructure: Website, Forums, issue tracker and everything having to do with keeping the lights on with OpenMW.
xXShaddowTXx

Re: Spam registration wave

Post by xXShaddowTXx »

Actually that's a much better idea.

What is the speling error in this sentence?
Amenophis

Post by Amenophis »

Not everyone here speak english fluently.
I can read but I´m not an advanced speaker.
So, go easy with this propose.
raevol

Post by raevol »

xXShaddowTXx wrote:Actually that's a much better idea.

What is the speling error in this sentence?
This is genius. Also, http://xkcd.com/810/ Be sure to read the alt-text.
ezzetabi

Post by ezzetabi »

The xkcd idea is nice, but you need people to write some comments before being banned or allowed. Otherwise you cannot know if they are ``constructive'' or non ``constructive''

I think it can be implemented allowing ``reputation points'' and putting a vote button in every post. If you keep your reputation positive you can stay. A new user starts with 10 points of reputation or so.

The real problem is that: trolls, haters and bots can vote too. In the unfortunate case that they take over the forum the real users might be banned.
Maybe a solution is giving votes to people with an high reputation a greater weight... but I am not sure how it will really work.

About the spelling idea, just no. I find unfair and actually annoying you want to keep people out only because they are not native speakers. Questions like ``What game is the team recreating?'' or ``What is the name of the project?" and such are great instead. Just be careful however, the question should not be answerable just putting it in google.
raevol

Post by raevol »

Regarding spelling, it's not too hard to copy+paste something into Google for a quick spellcheck.
natirips

Post by natirips »

scrawl wrote:yeah, let's have something simple like that so that users are not annoyed.

alternative question: What is the name of the game we are recreating?
Actually, I know a gameserver's forum that asked "what game do we play here?" and still gets many bots at times.

My idea was to make it non-vocabular in nature (some robots can nowdays talk* to people almost fluently).

*Talk as in talk face to face (not just text).

Asking what someone is holding in a picture and having a number of pictures rotating randomly sound like a good idea to me.
Greendogo

Post by Greendogo »

Why don't we ask questions about Morrowind? Like "What is the name of the Imperial agent you are told to speak with in Balmora?"

People who don't know the answer can look it up on UESP. Bots won't be that smart :D

There are a lot of simple questions from Morrowind that we could ask, so a different question could be asked each time.
StraToN

Post by StraToN »

A very common technique is to answer a very easy arithmetic problem, such as an addition, subtraction or product. Very easy, like "5+7= ?" or "6x7 = ?"

It is possible to add new equations easily in the administration. I didn't see new spam waves after using this technique on another forum which I am admin.
lgromanowski
Site Admin

Post by lgromanowski »

StraToN wrote:A very common technique is to answer a very easy arithmetic problem, such as an addition, subtraction or product. Very easy, like "5+7= ?" or "6x7 = ?"
Such mathematics questions are quite easy to solve via google, and we have already text questions. I'm checking different protection methods (customized rbl, ip range, e-mail checks, etc.).
Okulo

Post by Okulo »

How about rather than answering questions or copying text, you play a small game?