OpenMW 0.48.0

Anything related to PR, release planning and any other non-technical idea how to move the project forward should be discussed here.
willlone

Re: OpenMW 0.48.0

Post by willlone »

Well.. I'm willing to try that, although I know literally nothing about code or compiling code etc. That link essentially reads like Latin to me. But if that's just a step by step guide I would be able to follow it I'm sure.

Basically: Just instal the mentioned programs; download the OpenMW source code, and input the listed commands(??).
Calibration

Post by Calibration »

As a Mac Intel user I would like to try to help but the next month is not the best for me. I can try to find some time after July if you are still struggling. At the moment I have been playing 0.48 RC4. It works apart from occasional crashes when using striders as I've reported before. I have recently tried a later RC but it crashed after the first screen as has been reported so I reverted. Sorry, didn't keep a crash log.
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

Have you tried the recent RC11?
Calibration

Post by Calibration »

Just have and it works! :) Just had a quick go and no immediate problems. I will do a longer test over the weekend and see if I spot anything. Thanks.
willlone

Post by willlone »

Just to check if I could find when this issue started, I went backwards and tried RC4 Mac Intel here. I got a fatal error with that as well. Going to check RC1 now.

Since I am probably not going to be able to compile / build the program myself without taking up someone here's time explaining it to me (which I don't want to do), or reading up on how to build programs (which I have little time for), I am hoping I can at least identify which, if any, of the RC candidates do run on Catalina. I have verified that OpenMW 0.47 still runs fine for me here.

Edit: RC1 crashed also. Both RC1 and RC4 did not generate a crash log. Sorry I'm not sure why that is and feel I'm not gonna be much help beyond this. I can however verify that none of the macOS Intel builds will run on Catalina 10.15.7.
akortunov

Post by akortunov »

psi29a wrote: 23 Jun 2023, 10:12 I did a completely clean build using the same settings as the M1, using the same package versions. I validated that it runs, at least on 13.4
I wonder where dependent libraries (from OpenMW.app\Contents\Frameworks folder) come from. If you build OpenMW on Mac OS X 13.4 and libyaml-cpp.0.7.dylib comes from that system (from /opt/local/lib or something like this), there is no surprise that it is not supported by 10.15.
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

Calibration wrote: 29 Jun 2023, 22:56 Just have and it works! :) Just had a quick go and no immediate problems. I will do a longer test over the weekend and see if I spot anything. Thanks.
What version of macOS are you running?

Even though we do target 10.15; it seems the Intel RCs do not work on 10.15. (10.15.7)

The missing symbol seems to indicate that somehow libyaml or a dependency it is linked to has a missing symbol which could be something that it is dynamically linked to in the OS itself.

This needs validation.

Since macOS users cannot downgrade the only solutions I see are:
* creating a hackintosh instance with 10.15 to make intel builds
* asking someone with 10.15 to build the package for us.

@willlone would you be willing to come on discord? We could go over a setup together and see if we can first build OpenMW from scratch? If the resulting package runs for you, then we can try it on 13.x to see if it works there too. If so, then we can use that for release. :)
Calibration

Post by Calibration »

psi29a wrote: 30 Jun 2023, 10:31
Calibration wrote: 29 Jun 2023, 22:56 Just have and it works! :) Just had a quick go and no immediate problems. I will do a longer test over the weekend and see if I spot anything. Thanks.

Even though we do target 10.15; it seems the Intel RCs do not work on 10.15. (10.15.7)

The missing symbol seems to indicate that somehow libyaml or a dependency it is linked to has a missing symbol which could be something that it is dynamically linked to in the OS itself.

This needs validation.

@willlone would you be willing to come on discord? We could go over a setup together and see if we can first build OpenMW from scratch? If the resulting package runs for you, then we can try it on 13.x to see if it works there too. If so, then we can use that for release. :)
I am running Ventura 13.4.1 on an iMac Quad-Core Intel Core i5

Had some time to run around and RC11 feels very smooth with little lags. Did about 20 strider travels and no problems. So far seems pretty good. Huge improvement over my experience with 0.47 which had lots of freezing when loading between cells and no crashes that I saw with earlier 0.48 RCs. Well done!
willlone

Post by willlone »

psi29a wrote: 30 Jun 2023, 10:31

This needs validation.

Sure, I just made a discord account under my name here. I'll contact you there @psi29a
FXN55

Post by FXN55 »

AnyOldName3 wrote: 01 Jul 2023, 16:07 As I said, the location dumps are saved to changed with RC11
A little clarification please, in case I need it in the future. Where were the dumps stored and where are they now, with RC11?