MGE XE with OpenMW

Support for running, installing or compiling OpenMW

Before you submit a bug report for the first time, please read: Bug reporting guidelines
Jwn121

MGE XE with OpenMW

Post by Jwn121 »

I'm trying to get MGE XE to work with OpenMW, but it's not showing up in my data files page. Do you have to install it differently then other mods? I have Morrowind Rebirth installed, and I'm trying to install MGE the same way. After I downloaded the mod, I just put all of it's files into a new folder, except for the installer and the auto updater.
CMAugust

Re: MGE XE with OpenMW

Post by CMAugust »

MGE XE doesn't show up in data files even in the original Morrowind, as it's not a conventional mod but a collection of hacks for morrowind.exe, the game engine itself. OpenMW is a separate engine altogether, so MGE XE doesn't apply. Just skip that step and you should already be good to go with Rebirth. :)
Jwn121

Post by Jwn121 »

So should I just put the files in with the game instead of a mod folder?

sorry for long response time.
CMAugust

Post by CMAugust »

Best practice is to keep the mod in its own folder and add the data path to openmw.cfg. That way, it's easy to remove or change other mods without everything getting mixed up in one giant data files folder. This wiki tells you how: https://openmw.readthedocs.io/en/latest ... stall.html
Jwn121

Post by Jwn121 »

I understand how to install mods, I have Rebirth working, but I meant specifically mge xe. Does it not work with openMW? Thank you for your help.
CMAugust

Post by CMAugust »

That's right, MGE XE doesn't work with OpenMW, because it's not a mod but an engine hack for morrowind.exe, and OpenMW is a completely different engine. This means that you can't get the exact same visuals with OpenMW that you could with MGE XE, but there are many similar features "built in" to OpenMW such as increased support for different resolutions, anti-aliasing and texture filtering. OpenMW's graphics options will continue to "extend" as developers add them, so that hopefully one day it will surpass all that has been done with MGE. :)
Jwn121

Post by Jwn121 »

Thank you for your clarification.