Disable shadows on grass

Support for running, installing or compiling OpenMW

Before you submit a bug report for the first time, please read: Bug reporting guidelines
Mizunogaki

Disable shadows on grass

Post by Mizunogaki » 27 Nov 2019, 05:52

Hi! I use Vurt's Groundcover mod and terrain shadows. It is possible to turn off only grass shadows and leave working other terrain shadows?

Moderator edit: This question doesn't belong to the thread about planning of the next OpenMW release, so I moved it to a new thread. /Lysol

CMAugust

Re: Disable shadows on grass

Post by CMAugust » 27 Nov 2019, 12:27

"Terrain" in this case just refers to the overworld ground mesh. Everything else like grass, rocks and trees are considered objects. I guess you're looking for ways to mitigate Groundcover's huge performance cost. But keep in mind grass mod esp files were never meant to be used this way: they were intended to be used solely by MGE XE's distant land generation tool in order to create a performance-friendly version. There's no special handling for grass in OpenMW (yet) so unfortunately your options are either to turn off object shadows altogether, or skip the grass mods until OpenMW has its own solution. On the plus side, when OpenMW does have a system for grass, you'll likely get the best of both worlds in terms of looks and performance.