PR Team for OpenMW

Anything related to PR, release planning and any other non-technical idea how to move the project forward should be discussed here.
raevol

Re: PR Team for OpenMW

Post by raevol »

Zini wrote:There is no language with the name C/C++.
Fixed. C/C++ is the name of C, with a slash, and the name of C++, to indicate a combination of the two. I realize that C++ is an expanded version of C, so referring to them both at once is redundant. I've definitely seen "C/C++" used before to refer to a mixed codebase of C and C++ code, but I've got the feeling I just stumbled into a programmer pissing contest, so I'll just concede early. ;)
Zini

Post by Zini »

to indicate a combination of the two.
Combining C and C++ (as in using C-specific features in C++ software, where C++ features are available instead) is also a sign of incompetence. Note that using C libraries in C++ is a completely different topic (although using C++ wrapper for the C library is usually a very good idea).
I realize that C++ is an expanded version of C
That is not correct. There are C programs that are not valid C++ (and that doesn't even factor in more recent developments of the C language).
C and C++ have a common subset, but C is not a subset of C++.
raevol

Post by raevol »

Thanks for the clarification. You may want to avoid repeated use of the word "incompetence", as it's highly offensive to English speakers.
Zini

Post by Zini »

Well, that was kinda on purpose. I have run into trouble caused by people doing this kind of stunts once too often to have any more tolerance with them. Thanks for the advice though.
ElderTroll

Post by ElderTroll »

Do we have a page on Bethesda's Morrowind forum?
Amenophis

Post by Amenophis »

ElderTroll

Post by ElderTroll »

Thanks.
Okulo

Post by Okulo »

ElderTroll wrote:Thanks, that will be useful. If the original uploader deletes the video from their page, will it still be viewable on the mirrored channel?
It should be. The intent of the feature is allowing other people to remix or edit the original video. Remixes going down with the original would be kind of weird.
Star-Demon

Post by Star-Demon »

@C/C++:
Really? We're getting into this?
ElderTroll wrote:That's good news for the PR folks, Star-demon. The enthusiasm, energy, and humor in your first two videos were great. Could you make a video for 0.11.1 and a separate video for 0.12.0 once its released. You can upload them to your page and I can download them and upload to our channel or I can give you the username and password.
I was going to make a video for both those versions but the last version didn't work for me, and I just let it go hoping it'd be fixed. I would like to continue contributing regularly in terms of PR and videos but I just can't get much of anything done lately in addition to the stuff I'm trying to cover not working. It's frustrating, but there isn't much I can personally do about it.

If I get a good version release, I can coordinate to make sure the video gets to where it needs to be. I love doing the videos. I know there's ways to coordinate a team of posters on Youtube on an account, so that's not such a bad idea.
Another idea is to have in addition to version specific release videos, a yearly "state of the engine" video which would be longer and detail the major features noticable at the user level and maybe some of the technology that isn't immediately obvious, but that sets openmw apart from morrowind.
I think that will have to come later, when the program works on more systems and people will expect more expansion of current features.
Last edited by Star-Demon on 12 Feb 2012, 02:44, edited 1 time in total.
Star-Demon

Post by Star-Demon »

Zini wrote:Well, that was kinda on purpose. I have run into trouble caused by people doing this kind of stunts once too often to have any more tolerance with them. Thanks for the advice though.
Please take it seriously.