Water Rendering

Everything about development and the OpenMW source code.
WeirdSexy

Re: Water Rendering

Post by WeirdSexy »

I have the same deal with the NPCs, figured it was a known issue. Good to know those reflections are working, looks weird to see an NPC standing on a dock with a reflection of the NPC with no reflection of the dock.
Tarius

Post by Tarius »

Not to clutter up the thread, but I find it odd that all meshes dont just have reflection rendered in the same way; why should static meshes be any different from npc meshes when it comes to light interaction?
Chris

Post by Chris »

Zini wrote:If it is set the water level in the CellStore data structure should be set to the default value. SetWaterLevel and GetWaterLevel are working on this value and ignore the water flag.
To resurrect this point, Morrowind Code Patch v2.0 added this:
Detect water level fix. GetWaterLevel returns around -1e9 for cells with no water, preventing mods for incorrectly thinking you are underwater.
Perhaps OpenMW should replicate it?
werdanith

Post by werdanith »

You can configure the reflections of statics and other types of objects in settings.cfg which is in My Documents/My Games/openmw/settings.cfg on Windows or ~/.config/openmw on Linux. If the variables are missing you can copy them over from settings-default.cfg in your build folder. Scrawl disabled statics reflection by default for performance reasons.
Chris

Post by Chris »

werdanith wrote:Scrawl disabled statics reflection by default for performance reasons.
Wouldn't it make more sense to prefer rendering (LOD) statics over actors? It is rather unsightly to see actors floating in the reflections because the thing they're standing on isn't reflected.
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

@chris: that was what I thought/meant with the screanshot I posted.
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

I found something curious, shouldn't the reflection also be effected by the 'fog' or at least softer looking from so far off? Or has this already been talked about? :)

Osidian

Post by Osidian »

Maybe this isn't a bug since it's vanilla Morrowind's behavior (and it's still present in Skyrim!) but when the view is part above/part below water level you can either see too clearly underwater or you see terribly above. Like I said this also happens in Morrowind (seeing underwater as if it was air, at least), but I think this could be fixed for 1.0.0.

(First post around here, hello everyone!)