Openmwcs-merge

Questions specific to OpenMW-CS can be asked, and content development related topics can be discussed here
Zini

Re: Openmwcs-merge

Post by Zini » 13 Jul 2018, 09:31

Surely the conflicts still exist between C2 and B' and can, therefore, be detected?
No, they can't. Conflict means both C1 and C2 modify the same record. With B' the original state of records in B (that got overwritten by C1) are lost. Therefore the conflict doesn't exist anymore and C2 would simply overwrite any changes made in C1.

With a typical multi-person Morrowind-project workflow that is not the desired outcome. Here is what we did with Redemption (and I am pretty sure TR does something similar):

- The master file is handed out to all content developers
- Content developers create a content file based on that master file.
- The project leader/coordinator makes a "pens down" call. Everybody stops working and sends in their content files.
- A new master file is created by merging in all content files (hopefully without conflicts, but shit happens).
- Start from the top.
I was under the impression that the Fallout 4 and Skyrim SE creation kits have a merge tool built in which is intended for use in version control and has basically the same workflow as Git. It's what was used to build the games in the first place. That's the concept I have in my mind for this kind of tool, and I don't see any reason it shouldn't be feasible if Git itself is feasible. Someone should probably investigate what the official Bethesda tools do as that's a good thing to try and emulate if it's fit-for-purpose.
That would require building an entire version control system (git sucks for binary files). I don't see how we could possibly achieve that in any realistic span of time. Anyway, that is a separate issue from the merge tool.