Port Telvannis from TR is Unplayable

General discussion regarding the OpenMW project.
For technical support, please use the Support subforum.
Astrod

Port Telvannis from TR is Unplayable

Post by Astrod »

I searched to see if this issue has already been mentioned and failed to find any posts about this.

Issue
The instant my character enters the city of Port Telvannis my fps crashes from 40 to 2. Every other city runs at 30-40 Fps consistently. Llothanis, a city similar in structure to Port Telvannis, runs at a low 20-25. On the regular Morrowind client Port Telvannis runs at a playable 20-30 Fps.

I had this issue with Openmw 0.39 on my lower end HP laptop 3 months ago. Because that laptop was so low end, even other cities, like Balmora only ran at about 10 Fps and I figured it was just because it couldn't handle the engine. I ended up using the regular client. It was a big disappointment because Openmw's loading times are absolutely incredible. However, now that I'm using a mac Openmw is the only client that I can use.

Re: Port Telvannis from TR is Unplayable

Post by DestinedToDie »

Perhaps it will improve soon. A new member djdduty has taken interest to it. viewtopic.php?f=22&t=3924#p43434

Most likely the fps loss is caused by NPCs colliding with objects. Slaves colliding with cells seem to be the largest offenders. You can get around this by disabling the slaves or the cells.

Physics goes up the lower your fps is. So your physics goes high, your fps goes lower, your physics goes even higher, your fps goes even lower... and you get 2 fps. If you have a high end computer, your physics goes high, but your fps doesn't go that much lower, and the loop will not occur. See this thread. viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3696&hilit=sadrith+mora
Astrod

Post by Astrod »

Thanks for the reply, I will try disabling the massive number of slave cells in Port Telvannis.
Biboran

Post by Biboran »

Also one guy in TR now improve this area so it will look different soon :D