quick question

General discussion regarding the OpenMW project.
For technical support, please use the Support subforum.
SteveOdom

quick question

Post by SteveOdom »

Does openmw support MGE and MGSO? :D
I really am kidding here, don't bother to reply..

What I'm really keen to know is this: I thought the tribunal quest line was supposed to be delayed until the main morrowind quest was finished. This is fixed using mods, is this also something that's going to be included in the main package of openmw? It would make sense since there are virtually no people that don't have the expansions and it was something that did went wrong with morrowind itself. I know it's moddable but fixing bugs is what openmw is all about, no?

Also, I am playing the 0.39 version right now and it works quite fine for me, better than it used to with windows 10 on this lay-off laptop off mine. I'd say, thanks a lot already for making my number 1 game working for me once again. :)
ezze

Re: quick question

Post by ezze »

It definitely sounds something that should be fixed by mods, not by the engine. So I'd bet on "nope." There are mod delaying the Dark Brotherhood attacks though.
Capostrophic

Post by Capostrophic »

First, it's not a bug, it's an oversight.
Second, OpenMW is a game engine. Not Morrowind engine 2.0. It's not intended only for Morrowind, so no reason for fixing so-called resource issues. There already is another dirty hardcoded hack which shouldn't be in it for first place -- disabling weaking script action based on the number of dead Ash Vampires on specifically Dagoth Ur reference, -- but it justified by making the game unwinnable, because Voryn simply... dies of max health becoming lower than zero.
Chris

Post by Chris »

SteveOdom wrote:I know it's moddable but fixing bugs is what openmw is all about, no?
Fixing engine bugs, whereas the premature DB attack is a game data bug. OpenMW avoids second-guessing what the game data tells it to do, so it will spawn the DB assassin at the start of the game because that's what the script is telling it to do.

There's plenty of other bugs in Morrowind too, so it's actually a good idea to get a bug fix compilation mod which would include fixes for the DB attack and a number of other problems the game data has.
SteveOdom

Post by SteveOdom »

Right, I think I get where you 're coming from. I do believe it will help openmw to become a success if there would indeed be an easy list of much needed common mods. After all, the more people that enjoy the beta, the more feedback there is to go from in the future.
Given my lack of technical skills, I'll try out some mods and see if they work.
ezze

Post by ezze »

As far as I understand the project leader Zini shown no interest to host mods because there is plenty of more suitable places all around the internet like http://www.fliggerty.com. It should be their job to add a mod category for OpenMW mods.

About the topic, I remember making this Delayed Dark Brotherhood attacks mod. Maybe you like it.
SteveOdom

Post by SteveOdom »

Thanks. :) It's not the same as I had before but it will help keep morrowind 'fresh'.
ezze

Post by ezze »

Also consider that many mods use hacks and workarounds that simply makes no sense in OpenMW where it would be MUCH better to extend the engine.

Just imagine that my mod Failure Based Learning use sounds to detect failures! To implement a similar mod* in OpenMW you'd add the failure to the list of effects that increase a Skills.

*I still think it is a great idea for many skills.
Pherim

Post by Pherim »

There actually was another topic about just this not so long ago: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3417

And while I also consider the issue as one of the biggest problems with the Morrowind GotY, effectively destroying the early game, it is definitely nothing for the engine to fix (how would that be possible, anyway?). So yes, people will simply have to rely on mods for this. Fortunately, there are a number of those available, which resolve the problem in different ways, so there should be something for everybody.

How would this be fixed "correctly", anyway? Having it pushed back to after the Main Quest by default would keep people who don't intend to play through it from visiting Mournhold, which I also don't find ideal. I prefer a combination of a certain character level and reputation, possibly with a bit of a randomness factor, so that they do not appear at level 15, but anywhere from 12-17 or something like that. I would not like having this dictated by the game (and if it somehow were fixed by the engine, changing it with mods would possibly be more difficult, which would defy one of the purposes of OpenMW, making modding MORE flexible).