OpenMW 0.37.0 (?)

Anything related to PR, release planning and any other non-technical idea how to move the project forward should be discussed here.
Not

Re: OpenMW 0.37.0 (?)

Post by Not »

I would second this. All of us at TR love what you guys are doing and have always respected OpenMW for the hard work and dedication all of you put forth. The Morrowind modding scene grows smaller and smaller with each passing year it seems but it's really nice to see another project like ours that's come a long way and clearly has a love for the game. All of my fellow developers over at TR have always wanted to work closer with OpenMW but we've never had the opportunity. I do think this will be a great way for us to grow closer and it'd certainly help both projects with publicity and spreading the word.
Okulo

Post by Okulo »

A match made in heaven, I say. OpenMW isn't very impressive, visually, but with TR we would really be able to show something off. Does TR make use of bump maps on their textures? OpenMW gives TR a ton of development possibilities. I am really excited for both of these projects, and a loose alliance between them would probably make this an amazing nexus of creativity and code. It'd be the pinnacle of what the Morrowind modding community can achieve.
Not

Post by Not »

Okulo wrote:Does TR make use of bump maps on their textures?
I'm not really the one to answer that; I honestly have no idea. But I know others that do and I've already linked them to this thread, I'm hoping they'll see it eventually. TR is very excited about this possible "alliance" (not sure if there's a better word or not) as you can see from our thread here.
DestinedToDie

Post by DestinedToDie »

The obvious answer should be no. Because they are still working exclusively on the vanilla engine and CS, there's no option to use bump maps. If there are any, they are there by accident (someone used a cc free mesh that happened to have a bump map attatched to it).

This does provide a good reason for TR to finally get familiar with OpenMW. But correct me if I'm wrong, after 0.37 bump maps suffered a regression and aren't implemented in the OSG version yet. You'd have to go back to 0.36 and that won't do for a video introducing 0.37.
sjek

Post by sjek »

would say also that combapility is important. that as vanilla engine just ignores extra features in meshes while still baking them sometimes to nif + nifskope editing possibilities could be used as advantage. most area where it would focus besides that is the opencs and project management bonuses.

listing the features and different texture plans (roadmap) clearly somewhere would be bonus. becos that has been the biggest confusion point on support of normal maps for example. as the project lives this would have to be very rought but it would still be.

modding can be already made via vanilla cs but people are on hold for 1.0 for scripting as it's mostly world building nowadays. MGE XE shader guys have made the vanilla looks like really good so that needs shader support. and distant land on it's own althought not so from modding standpoint as it can be weaked with shaders. playability on the other hand for base quality

modderbase in forums is smaller than oblivion, skyrim heydays what have heard but off forum and russians and people coming from skyrim -> oblivion -> morrowind asking what the heck xP and reddit humor cracked

as so would think that TR cooperation would be for now more like video footage and background discussion
10Kaziem

Post by 10Kaziem »

Hi,

At the moment I'm handling the textures over at Tamriel Rebuilt and I can say for sure that we do not use bump maps. This is because we attempt to use graphics fairly similar to the vanilla game, so that anyone who has a computer that that run Morrowind can also enjoy TR. Bump, normal, detail, and other maps all have to be made in addition to a standard texture and require extra work.

Eventually, we're going to want to upgrade our graphics, but that will probably wait until OpenMW is far enough along and we feel we have enough of our other stuff taken care of. Depending on the type of mapping and performance hits, we'll be considering additional graphics upgrades, probably in an optional package so that the ability to play it like stock standard Morrowind is still there.

Kaziem
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

I believe it is in our benefit to see that TR also runs as correctly as it does in Morrowind, as it is one of the largest and most complex projects out there. It would be a shame if OpenMW couldn't hold parity with Morrowind. We've been doing this already for a number of years.

The added benefit for TR is that they have two engines to test their work on, exposing problems that were not obvious in one engine but well in another. Again, people have already been filing bug reports (and seeing them closed) for OpenMW for years.

So this reciprocal bond has been around for awhile, I think both communities could kick it up a notch and start pro-actively testing each others work.

The lack of eye-candy in 0.37 isn't a show-stopper. However, measuring apples with apples (OpenMW vs. Vanilla Morrowind) will show that OpenMW is more performant and we should be shouting this from the towers. Showing this in the case of TR just drives the point home, we simply do it BETTER than Morrowind itself... don't simply take our word for it.

In return, TR can also begin promoting OpenMW as the preferred engine for playing TR but always claim to be backwards compatible with the original.

Thank you Kaziem for taking the time to comment! :)
sjek

Post by sjek »

two ninjas

in the meantime there's a lot of test materials for game mechanics http://morrowind-2.tumblr.com/ ; )
+ modtown but they are time resricted as is to make for the next year so dunno official.
unofficial bugtesting always goes and for that it's free to use

it's clear that openmw performs better in term of benchmarking and people's playing with it and extra settings, but like this community it's not all about numbers

showcasing TR you also have to take into account dargelfguys videos https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YUPYmUKWpoY : )

for the bugtesting mayhem part it's kinda people are not sure about how to do it and gluttering bug reports. generally it just doesn't work so good as in here and the quality also rises the level. i think it's good, keeping reports more clean althought extra hands is always welcome.
DestinedToDie

Post by DestinedToDie »

sjek wrote:in the meantime there's a lot of test materials for game mechanics http://morrowind-2.tumblr.com/ ; )
As far as I understand, Morrowind2 applies textures in a way that OpenMW doesn't register. The main thing that catches my eye is that all textures are .tga instead of .dds (that's dumb).

For me all new textures in Morrowind2 are blank white. Though maybe I installed wrong (not likely, works perfectly in vanilla Morrowind).
sjek

Post by sjek »

same happens here (in it's own data folder) was quessing baked textures as the wall canvases show white. haven't checked meshes yet ( edit: same as this one https://bugs.openmw.org/issues/2295 , tga parts are showing good )

there's also mechanics slowdown in balmora whitch might be same as with julan companion.
(edit: caused by calling aifollow from local script every frame without caller or self referencing)

teleporting to skyrim works :lol:
werewolves sunglasses maybe could be using diffuse or something
---->

continues xP