Morrowind Definitive Edition

General discussion regarding the OpenMW project.
For technical support, please use the Support subforum.
RounCole

Morrowind Definitive Edition

Post by RounCole »

Ok, I need to prefus this by saying that I am not looking for anyone to make anything unless they feel that they should... i have taken my share of flack from people saying that I need to work on mods myself and on and on.

I am looking for people to help me collect mods that ALREADY EXIST and compile them as a solid list rather than creating something new.

What I want to do is collect the best of the best mods by category in the aim of refining all aspects of the game while striving to keep connected with the core themes and lore of the world.

I would do all this myself, but with the sheer vastness of the modding community, I find it very daunting if not outright intimidating to try and search through lists of thousands of mods researching each one to make sure I know what it is... I would like the help of people who like different areas who would find it more favorable to look in those areas, where as for myself I am still fighting off that feeling of hopelessness that I have been carrying for years after I realized the limitations of what Morrowind could become. With the news, and subsequent release of OpenMW I foresee a better future for everything, so I am presently in the process of shaking off my doom cloud that has been hovering over me for so long. ;)

Categories:

Graphics: Given that the game was made so many years ago, it was accepted at its now poor level of graphics because that was what the developers were capable of at the time. Now with OpenMW, I foresee a whole new experience being opened up. I look at stuff like Vurts mods on foliage and a few other mods that effect textures and all I can say is WAW! :shock: there is a great amount of potential out there that already exists to make the graphics truly amazing.

Landmasses: Vvardenfell was a pretty nice place to live, I have to admit, it was fun exploring all the vast nooks and crannies around the island. That being said, it was still limited to the technology of the day. I see stuff like Tamriel Rebuilt and Morrowind Rebirth as that next step in evolution to make the game a whole new world... I have been in contact with the developer of Morrowind Rebirth and it seems hopeful that his project is either usable now, or very close to being so.

NPCs and Radiance: A terrible setback that I have seen in most games is that the population is fixed and limited by what was scripted as a one time experience. For example if you were to go into a town and kill everyone in it, there would be no one left but the guards that respawn. As we all know, in the events that are life, shit happens... People get hurt, people die, and in a world as dangerous as this, it happens frequently... So on top of making the game seem more alive in general, I think it would be a serious boon to the game to have NPCs expendable, or at the least replacable... For example, if a shop keeper dies, someone else should move into that shop after a realistic period of time to resume business, because after all, life goes on...

But more than that, I would like to see a truly radiant AI of some degree in place to make the game more of a real experience than just a scripted environment that dies the moment you step into it...

Quests/Missions/Jobs: Something that bothered me a lot was the limited script of jobs you were given by any given faction. Sometimes the jobs were shuffled so you didnt always get the same ones twice but ultimately once you have done the faction you can essentially predict the future every other time you go to play it again. There were also conflicts such as two factions at war and having to choose one faction over the other, there should have been an option to decline a job so that you could get another one and still play that faction without having to hurt the other.

Beyond that I would like to see more trivial jobs given by shop keepers and such that not only give the player more to do but make the game feel more alive. It could be a delivery/pickup, it could be a scavenger hunt to collect flowers like seen in the mages guild or something else more meaningful. There could also be a lot of simple bounty hunting type stuff where the person or animal your hunting is just plopped in a cell somewhere and is programmed to either fight or run away.

Enviroment: Have you ever noticed that the ecosystem just seems dead? There are not nearly enough animals in the wilds, and not enough frivolous details to show that the world is actually lived in. I suppose this category overflows with NPC and radiance, but there should be more random encounters in the world and a healthy amount of arriving after the fact such as a battle that took place and there are bodies scattered in a field or street according to what had happened before you go there.

Psychics: Have you ever noticed how the player and other NPCs are always rigid like cut from stone? When I think back to the animations for running or walking I think back to the original Robocop where the motions were all mechanical and repetitive. There should be a lot better animations that show NPCs doing things and stuff like the players head turning with the camera to make it look and feel more realistic.

Economy:

My wrists are tired, so ill finish this up later, but for now, consider the principle of what im proposing.

EDIT: Thread merged, was original "Creating 'Morrowind Definitive Edition' Looking For Partners"
Last edited by RounCole on 07 Nov 2014, 01:00, edited 1 time in total.
HiPhish

Re: Creating 'Morrowind Definitive Edition' Looking For Part

Post by HiPhish »

You're not the first one who has had that idea. At least in terms of graphics and audio the job has already been done:
http://www.ornitocopter.net/morrowind-overhaul/
Cramal

Post by Cramal »

Outside of the selection of the mods, it also a good idea to collect a list of mod that have been tested to work correctly with OpenMW.

I know that most of the mod work with OpenMW, but some mods have strangly coded scripts that give not the same result in vanilla and openMW.

Maybe the wiki is a good place to do that :
-everyone can add the mods he have tested with openMW
- the ones who wnat to give their personnal list (with a quick description, like "it just cosmetic change, no gameplay", "only lore friendly mods", "fun, fun fun"..) can.
Tinker

Post by Tinker »

Cramal wrote:Outside of the selection of the mods, it also a good idea to collect a list of mod that have been tested to work correctly with OpenMW.

I know that most of the mod work with OpenMW, but some mods have strangly coded scripts that give not the same result in vanilla and openMW.

Maybe the wiki is a good place to do that :
-everyone can add the mods he have tested with openMW
- the ones who wnat to give their personnal list (with a quick description, like "it just cosmetic change, no gameplay", "only lore friendly mods", "fun, fun fun"..) can.
This also has been suggested before and was greeted by a great lack of interest, viewtopic.php?f=20&t=2322.

I would also say that almost all the mods I have tested do not work correctly, some could never have worked in vanilla either. Some fail due to use of things not yet implemented in OpenMW but others have just got plain coding errors like forgetting to divide by 100 when awarding skills, having the end script line above the code for the script so it never executes, having a constant effect spell set to 0 seconds so it does nothing and the worst one I found so far redefines a variable in a script instead of assigning a value, in vanilla this just failed silently in OpenMW it produces a fatal error.
RounCole

Post by RounCole »

HiPhish wrote:You're not the first one who has had that idea. At least in terms of graphics and audio the job has already been done:
http://www.ornitocopter.net/morrowind-overhaul/
I know, thats why I mentioned MGSO in my first comment, I know about that, its just that it adds a bunch of optional files that are bulky and take up hard drive space that you dont need taken up.

MGSO is a good project, not doubt, it just needs to be leaner than the installation package when its done...
silentthief

Post by silentthief »

I thought I might try to steer you to a place which might help you with both trying to find THE mod collection for morrowind, as well as testing out mods to see what works and what doesn't.

Try going to fliggerty.com

They are elder scrolls mod collectors and have even managed to collect a list of the hard to find mods, mods you thought gone forever, and mods that you didn't even know you wanted.

They are pretty friendly towards noob and or the constantly asking question types, like me when I joined.

ST
RounCole

Post by RounCole »

silentthief wrote:I thought I might try to steer you to a place which might help you with both trying to find THE mod collection for morrowind, as well as testing out mods to see what works and what doesn't.

Try going to fliggerty.com

They are elder scrolls mod collectors and have even managed to collect a list of the hard to find mods, mods you thought gone forever, and mods that you didn't even know you wanted.

They are pretty friendly towards noob and or the constantly asking question types, like me when I joined.

ST
Thank you good sir...
RounCole

Update 'Morrowind Definitive Edition'

Post by RounCole »

Alright, so far there are two members on the team... I have a guy making a list and doing some play testing. Im doing all of the mod searching at far as I know. Not knowing what exact changes are happening through OpenMW makes it hard to gauge what is needed and what isnt... I assume that all the patches and fixes are going into the new engine. So far were looking at stuff like crafting and graphics stuff like enhancing the landscape with Vurts materials. Some stuff like making a functional arena or bounty hunting are still up in the air, not sure what exists out there.

I guess at this moment at least one more search partner would be a blessing. What im looking at now is conglomerating all the various armor mods that are correct and valid. Sadly the list im looking at is hundreds of mods long so im kinda stressed about that...

A very important position is someone who knows the ins and outs of OpenMW who can just advice as to what is being added as far as feature and function changes. OpenMW is pretty much a nebulous monolith because I dont have the technical where-with-all to know what is what.

So yeah, if someone has some new angle to add to this please say so.
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Re: Update 'Morrowind Definitive Edition'

Post by psi29a »

If someone can, please merge this thread into the other existing thread. No point in having more than one.
dEnigma

Re: Update 'Morrowind Definitive Edition'

Post by dEnigma »

@RounCole: There is the "Welcome to the Arena" mod:
With this mod, you can fight and bet for fights in the Vivec's Arena. Like in the the Imperial City Arena in Oblivion, there are apparent teams of combatants and scheduled matches. To start you'r journey, talk to one of the arena masters in their bloodworks about "Join the arena". You need to be at least level 10 to join. After joining, you can fight in rank related matches or against monsters. Just ask about this from your arena master and of you go!