Controlled jumps

Feedback on past, current, and future development.
ezze

Controlled jumps

Post by ezze »

In Morrowind characters with very high Acrobatics are quite difficult to play; when you have more than 60 or so making small jumps become impossible. This fact is obviously shown by the Scrolls of Icarian Flight you can get in the begin of the game.

Wouldn't be possible to have more control on the jumps? Like you go up and accelerate only if you keep the button pressed? Also, what about having more air control (a la Quake1 to understand)?
K0kt409P

Re: Controlled jumps

Post by K0kt409P »

That sounds more like a jetpack than a jump. :)
Maybe holding down the jump button could "charge" the jump, i.e. you don't actually jump until the button is released. A quick tab produces a normal sized hop regardless of acrobatics skill, but the higher the skill the higher one can jump after a charge?

Related to this, could jumping be more closely tied to the physics system? Right now, if someone with very high acrobatics jumps inside of a room with a low ceiling, they will "hover" near the ceiling for a while instead of bumping their head and falling down right away.
ezze

Post by ezze »

It sounds a good idea, you use your Acrobatics more and more in exponential fashion if you keep the button pressed...
SquireNed

Post by SquireNed »

My only complaint with button press-length jumps is that it gets in the way of the majestic intercontinental flight of vanilla, at least if it's implemented poorly.
wheybags

Post by wheybags »

This sounds like the realm of mods to me
ezze

Post by ezze »

SquireNed wrote:My only complaint with button press-length jumps is that it gets in the way of the majestic intercontinental flight of vanilla, at least if it's implemented poorly.
I agree, this is indeed a problem. This is why I said "exponential" for example (it must be tweaked of course) let be Y the maximum ammount of Acrobatics your character uses and let X be the number of seconds you keep the button pressed then using the formula:

Y = 100 * X^2

you can have a 100 Acrobatics jump keeping pressed for 1 second; but also a 3000 jump (enough to cross the whole map) in 5 seconds and half. A normal quick tap (about 1/10 of second) gives you a 30 Acrobatics jump.

wheybags wrote:This sounds like the realm of mods to me
Probably yes. Still, share ideas gentlemen (and ladies?)
bahamut

Post by bahamut »

Mabye some kind of powerjump mod? The more you hold the jump button while standing, the bigger the jump would be
ezze

Post by ezze »

Yes... sounds a good idea. You just need a way to allow extremely long jumps without keeping pressed the button for minutes; a possibility is an exponential increase of how much Acrobatics the character uses.

Am I having a déjà vu? Guess it is just my impression..
BlueFootedBooby

Post by BlueFootedBooby »

Having to hold the button would be obnoxious. It'd turn every jump into something like grenade tossing in Worms, with the added annoyance of having to accurately judge distance while running to make sure you start pressing jump early enough. It's just a much more complex task.

It seems to me that mostly you either want to fully jump, or do a little hop to get over a high curb or low fence. Why not just do short-jumps when walking, long when running (ie either have capslock on or are holding shift, not that you'd need to be moving)? This way hopping over a low fence while running along would just require tapping shift as you hit spacebar, which really wouldn't even be perceptable to an NPC watching you. Having icarian flight active is kind of a special case, one that's actually supposed to be awkward and easily fatal.
Slissith

Post by Slissith »

@BlueFootedBooby

That's not a bad idea at all. We could also draw inspiration from the way Dark Souls 1 did it: you could only jump while sprinting. So we could have 3 tiers of jumping:

1) When Walking (50% Acrobatics)
2) When Running (70% Acrobatics)
3) When Sprinting (100% Acrobatics)

Of course, all of this would better be added by a mod, of course.