Perk tree ideas?

Feedback on past, current, and future development.
DarkAnsem

Perk tree ideas?

Post by DarkAnsem »

If OpenMW could support it, I'd love to see the game handle perks like skyrim (possibly better).
considering the number of skills MW had, compared to skyrim, it could be VERY fun to create perk trees for them :)

Devs, any word on whether I should embark on this or not?

On a general note, Skills in MW work in terms of tiers, so Perks should more or less be organized on this

0-14: tier 1
15-29: tier 2
30-44: tier 3
45-59: tier 4
60-100: MAX

although, I wouldn't mind some expansion on this system itself...

60-74: tier 5
75-89: tier 6
90-100: tier 7
lysol

Re: Perk tree ideas?

Post by lysol »

I'd say that's a job for a mod.

Things like fixing the journal system is one thing that I think OpenMW can fix right away post 1.0, because the journal system IS bad. Perks on the other hand, is just a matter of preference. Some people like them. Some don't. I like them.
DarkAnsem

Post by DarkAnsem »

the question is: will OpenMW be able to support them, potentially, or it's a feature too far-fetched?
SquireNed

Post by SquireNed »

OpenMW should have little difficulty with the system; you could even make them as "enchantments" now. The difficult part would be getting the UI in, but I think that OpenMW has support for that somehow.
DarkAnsem

Post by DarkAnsem »

what is used for the UI?

if little difficulty, I could reasonably plan ahead for them and get feedback... if only for ideas. would the system be similar\better to skyrim, if OpenCS allows it?
SquireNed

Post by SquireNed »

I'm not familiar with Skyrim's perk tree setup; I've poked at it a couple times but I've never been a big mod maker.

OpenCS doesn't currently have any perk tree setup, and I'm not sure how OpenMW and MyGUI handle extensions, but at the very least I'd imagine it should be possible to make an ugly/kludgy workaround with a dialogue box system akin to the character creation one. A step up from that would be selection dialogue pips on a static image background.
DarkAnsem

Post by DarkAnsem »

Skyrim perk tree is not too difficult, at least in the CK.

Perks can provide a variety of effects, including the modification of actor values and, in general, of volatile values such as magicka -they can also tackle and use information like current weather, light level and whatnot - and they can be multi-ranked: meaning that you can upgrade them with more powerful effects, also by using a priority system.

They are placed in a menu created in a dynamic way in the CK via the Actor Value system, where you can simply add them and the engine will do the rest. too many different perks require a different background tho.

Can you spend a bit more words on MyGUI? how similar is it to the SkyUI mod, Flash interface apart?

EDIT: it woul also require the implementation of the keyword system + the attachment system....
Okulo

Post by Okulo »

DarkAnsem wrote:Can you spend a bit more words on MyGUI? how similar is it to the SkyUI mod, Flash interface apart?
It's not at all like SkyUI. SkyUI is a mod, MyGUI is a whole interface library. You're probably thinking it's something entirely different than what it really is. Why not take a look at the MyGUI website?
DarkAnsem

Post by DarkAnsem »

I found the true website and posted it in an appropriate thread.
Actually, I'm starting to think the in-game gui could be the very last problem.... all behind it it's more important.
ezze

Post by ezze »

Just to understand, to mod OpenMW is needed to write C++ then?