Items in hand

Feedback on past, current, and future development.
veepee

Items in hand

Post by veepee »

I think it would be cool if the player could take items off the game world in hand and then have a few options for using them. Like: put in inventory, eat / drink, read, equip, throw, drop etc. The item would be visible when in hand, like weapons.
Together with sitting and eating / drinking animations, this would make for a cool tavern experience.

In contrast, currently tavern tables are full of stuff to eat, but if you want to actually eat or drink, you'll have to buy something from an NPC in a barter screen, then exit the barter screen, open up your inventory, pausing the game, locate what you just bought among tens or hundreds of items and consume it instantly, then resume game and have the effects applied.

This was more or less done in the original Deus Ex game. IIRC in that game you'd press the same button again to pack the item.

Would be a bit difficult to handle stealing with this kind of a system in place though.
silentthief

Re: Items in hand

Post by silentthief »

I expect this is one of those areas where mods will come in. I mean, with some of the mods such as animated morrowind http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6friXBiBhVs to compare to, people will want to mod OpenMW so the population of vardenfell will be carrying walking sticks, sweeping the floor with brooms, get into bar fights and chuck bottles and bar stools at the player, and more.

ST
ps, I look forward to what comes after v1
ezze

Post by ezze »

I think handling stealing is not a problem at all, if an item leave the cell is theft. If you simply move it around the item position get reset after few hours or so.
heilkitty

Post by heilkitty »

silentthief wrote:I expect this is one of those areas where mods will come in. I mean, with some of the mods such as animated morrowind http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6friXBiBhVs to compare to, people will want to mod OpenMW so the population of vardenfell will be carrying walking sticks, sweeping the floor with brooms, get into bar fights and chuck bottles and bar stools at the player, and more.

ST
ps, I look forward to what comes after v1
Animated Morrowinds is build on dirty hacks (at least, I would call it so). There must be some support from engine for mods to do that thing in clear and non-intrusive way.
ezze

Post by ezze »

It would also be great for shopping, instead of the classic MW routine: "pickup item, get beaten by guards and merchant," a routine like: "pick-up item, pay" or "pick-up item, leave, get beaten" (perhaps with some warnings) would be much more immersive.
Faelian

Post by Faelian »

Neat idea though i wonder how would one make it look believable considering different shapes would need different animations of holding. Apart from that it would really be awesome to be able to inspect an item more closely (like in Skyrim's inventory but holding it in-game) and interact with it that way.
ezze

Post by ezze »

No need of animations, there is no need to show hands or anything.* Just like what The Dark Mod does. You did not try The Dark Mod? You should, it is free!

*ok, if well done it would great. But it is not SO important.
Faelian

Post by Faelian »

Haven't heard of that Dark Mod, but might give it a try later on. The thing is that if that was supposed to be done via messages (i.e. "You are holding the Necromancer's Amulet, what do you want to do with it?), it would be... well, kind of artificial. I'd prefer it to be visually represented and honestly, making holding animation is not a big deal. Big deal is how to implement it in a believable way.
Amenophis

Post by Amenophis »

Look at how the Amnesia Series handle the objects in game space. Just press a specific key and you can change their position or take a closer look when you want. Imagine mods like Books Rotate and Weapons Rotate without dialogue windows. Of course this kind of physics is too complex but in the future I´d like to see implemented.
http://youtu.be/o64omgPeINA
Faelian

Post by Faelian »

Yes, that is a nice system and it would be cool to see it done in Morrowind though in ideal world we could also see PC using his hands to do so (if they're not holding anything) :P