How would I get OpenMW working?

General discussion regarding the OpenMW project.
For technical support, please use the Support subforum.
DarthNarwhals

How would I get OpenMW working?

Post by DarthNarwhals »

Like many people who love Morrowind, I currently have the Morrowind Code Patch, and Morrowind Script Extended installed on my computer. When OpenMW reaches v1.0, how exactly will I make that transition? Would I just install OpenMW, and would it override the previous mods? Would I have to go into all kinds of nitty gritty technical stuff to fix it? Or would it be as simple as deleting the two from my Morrowind directory?

Thanks in advance!
SquireNed

Re: How would I get OpenMW working?

Post by SquireNed »

The Morrowind Code Patch is to my knowledge just a stability enhancer (I use it myself). It shouldn't cause incompatibilities, at least not in 99% of cases, and most of those will just be a little functionality shift. MWSE will explicitly not work, and mods are not compatible. There are no plans for compatibility, though OpenMW will offer many of the same features. In my experience, OpenMW doesn't require any changes to your original Morrowind install; it'll work nicely around the things in there, so long as you don't try to load mods that need MWSE functionality.

Remember that OpenMW is a separate executable from your original Morrowind setup. All the two use in common is your .esm/.esp files and all the data that Morrowind contains outside of these.
ViroGlacia

Post by ViroGlacia »

OpenMW will likely allow modders to do most, if not all of the things that MWscriptExtender currently allows modders to do with the original game Engine/CS. However all other mods should work just hunky dorry. That's the stated goal anyway :) .
lysol

Post by lysol »

To clarify: Mods that require mwse will not work on openmw. BUT, these mods can be modified or redone to work with openmw, since the new engine will be able to do all the things that mwse enabled but in a better and 'out of the box' way.
claudekennilol

Post by claudekennilol »

lysol wrote:To clarify: Mods that require mwse will not work on openmw. BUT, these mods can be modified or redone to work with openmw, since the new engine will be able to do all the things that mwse enabled but in a better and 'out of the box' way.
Which is why it makes no sense to me to not support them.

If anything is "hacky" it's the implementation of the called functions. Not the coding done in the scripts, so implement the functions, then MWSE mods can be used.
ezze

Post by ezze »

We already spoke of this problem, unfortunately it seems it is not easy as it would seems to be.

Let me quote Zini...
Zini wrote:The x-form of some existing instructions are actually not a problem. They are redundant in most cases, but just adding an alias for an instruction wouldn't be a problem.
However there are some aspects to the script extender syntax that may not fit into OpenMW (don't have any details here, sorry; too long since I looked at that stuff). Please keep in mind, that we don't implement the MW scripting languages. We are implementing a superset of it. Some extensions to the original language may simply be incompatible with our scripting language. Also some extensions may block possible future improvements of the scripting language, that are planned.
Tarius

Post by Tarius »

OpenMW is a stand alon program that will do much of what that other stuff does; it wont work with teh scripot extender though. This seems the simplest way to put it.