Has anyone thought about making a 2 player co-op mod?

Feedback on past, current, and future development.
AustNerevar

Has anyone thought about making a 2 player co-op mod?

Post by AustNerevar »

I know there was multiplayer mod a long time ago that essentially created an NPC of the other player that would mirror his character.

But I was thinking that OpenMW would give you guys a chance to make an actual working co-op mod for the game that would work on an engine level. It would he so awesome to journey across Vvardenfell with my friend. Is this even possible? I imagine since this is open source you can manipulate the engine in almost any way you wish.

Just a suggestion.
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Re: Has anyone thought about making a 2 player co-op mod?

Post by psi29a »

On the may-be list for post 1.0... for several years now.
AustNerevar

Post by AustNerevar »

That's awesome. I realize a lot of us still play MW, but a co-op mod could really breathe new life into Morrowind.

Sorry if I asked a question that's been asked a lot.
Jyby

Post by Jyby »

Yeah I bet a multiplayer feature will be added. But it will be very bare bones from a feature point of view. It will be enough to lets others develop it further with mods and scripts.

Essentially I think it would just allow someone to come into your world, rape and pillage, and leave with the stuff they took from you.
SquireNed

Post by SquireNed »

I mean, to be brutally fair, Morrowind isn't a game in which every action has a narrative impact. Many actions do, but co-op will likely be just adding in a second sword and you'll likely be responsible for sorting out who gets what loot and how you develop the story yourself.

It'll be interesting to see how OpenMW handles quest-state, though. Likely you'll see an immortality toggle on important NPC's (because trolling/griefing/playing with a newbie), and I'm not sure if it would be better to have shared or individual quest progress.

OpenMW Online?