English weekly news translation

Discuss and help improve OpenMW's infrastructure: Website, Forums, issue tracker and everything having to do with keeping the lights on with OpenMW.
lgromanowski
Site Admin

Re: English weekly news translation

Post by lgromanowski »

sirherrbatka wrote:
I think that loading and saving the state of character's spells list also will appear soon.
this should be
I hope that loading and saving the state of character's spells list also will appear soon.
imho, though those are your thoughts ;-)
"I think" is more or less equal to "In my opinion" (and I meant to write it this way).
raevol

Post by raevol »

My attempt:
OpenCS above all!

I'll start a bit differently this time - with OpenCS instead of the usual OpenMW.

Thanks to SirHerrbatka and Zini's efforts, OpenCS now features the functionality mentioned in last week's post. For your viewing pleasure, the preview and editing views in all their glory:

<screenshot>

Beautiful! And all of this is in the main branch!

Aside from that, we have fixes, fixes, fixes, and Scrawl. Like every other week, Scrawl dealt with some nasty bugs (this time having to do with NPCs not falling down). Slothlife, meanwhile, has included support for saving the current weather state in savegame files. I think that loading and saving the state of a character's spells list should also appear soon.

And that's all folks, until next time!
Might need a spellcheck...
lgromanowski
Site Admin

Post by lgromanowski »

raevol wrote:My attempt:
OpenCS above all!

I'll start a bit differently this time - with OpenCS instead of the usual OpenMW.

Thanks to SirHerrbatka and Zini's efforts, OpenCS now features the functionality mentioned in last week's post. For your viewing pleasure, the preview and editing views in all their glory:

<screenshot>

Beautiful! And all of this is in the main branch!

Aside from that, we have fixes, fixes, fixes, and Scrawl. Like every other week, Scrawl dealt with some nasty bugs (this time having to do with NPCs not falling down). Slothlife, meanwhile, has included support for saving the current weather state in savegame files. I think that loading and saving the state of a character's spells list should also appear soon.

And that's all folks, until next time!
Might need a spellcheck...

Thanks! :)
lgromanowski
Site Admin

Post by lgromanowski »

Hi,
first weekly:
Hello,
in this week Scrawl fixed the issue with the main menu - it has a background image and familiar music
(of course nothing stops you to swap MP3 files and when you start the game hear http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IlKhFyBVtG4 every time).

You can see another noticeable change only when visiting the dealer to replace your hard-stolen
property into cash. Merchants now behave as in the original game - their gold regenerates after a day.
This is due to a new team member: JyBy!

Artificial intelligence in OpenMW, as probably everyone knows, don't come to the forefront.
Truth be told, it's still quite embarrassing. We're aware of this and we're working on improvements.
For example, changes recently introduced by gus whose aim is to prevent a wave of Silt Striders operators suicides.
Standing on high pedestals, are literally on the brink of destruction...

Work on OpenCS is also moving forward. SirHerrbatka and Graffy are trying to streamline the configuration editor
(due to our requirements, this is not so trivial task). Zini lastly heavily worked on the panel
rendering. He managed to enter the lighting modes, and a number of other changes to the functionality
available in the well-known editor made by Bethesda.

See you next week!
second weekly:

Welcome back !

As you probably noticed, there are reports recently on the blog fairly regularly about subsequent changes
in the use of artificial intelligence. This shouldn't be a surprise for anyone, because I assure:
there are places for improvements. Especially the so-called "pathfinding" algorithms can behave in
a quite hilarious manner - believe it or not: NPCs in OpenMW behaves sometimes even stranger than
in the original engine. If you'd like this type of error, I would recommend hurry up with testing - from week
to week there are less, and less funny bugs. This time, bugs were squashed by Cc9cii, for which he deserves applause.

Let's start with OpenCS and cellselect branch - it's the branch that contains the code associated in part
with the function of the window rendering the cell. Of course, the whole part is far from the state of readiness,
but recent changes have already been incorporated into the main branch, so you can try them out.
And of course, I encourage you for trying it.

And that's all, see you next week!
Would someone check it please?
Greendogo

Post by Greendogo »

Don't know if you still needed this:

1st
lgromanowski wrote: Hello,
This week Scrawl fixed the issue with the main menu - it has a background image and familiar music (of course nothing stops you from swapping MP3 files to hear http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IlKhFyBVtG4 every time you start the game).

You can see another noticeable change when visiting a local fence to convert your hard-stolen property into cash. Merchants now behave as in the original game - their gold regenerates after a day. This is due to a new team member: JyBy!

Artificial intelligence in OpenMW, as probably everyone knows, has not yet come to the forefront. Truth be told, it's still quite embarrassing. We're aware of this and we're working on improvements. For example, there were recent changes introduced by gus that are aimed at preventing a wave of Silt Strider operator suicides.

Work on OpenCS is also moving forward. SirHerrbatka and Graffy are trying to streamline the configuration editor (due to our requirements, this is not so trivial a task). Zini lastly heavily worked on the panel rendering. He managed to add the lighting modes, and a number of other changes to the functionality available in the well-known editor made by Bethesda.

See you next week!
2nd:
lgromanowski wrote:
Welcome back!

As you probably noticed, there are reports on the blog fairly regularly about subsequent changes in the use of artificial intelligence. This shouldn't be a surprise for anyone, because I assure you: there is room for improvement. This is especially so with the so-called "pathfinding" algorithms, which can behave in a quite hilarious manner. Believe it or not, NPCs in OpenMW sometimes behave even stranger than in the original engine. If you like experiencing this type of error, I would recommend testing them while they last - from week to week there are less, and less funny bugs. This time, bugs were squashed by Cc9cii, for which he deserves applause.

Let's start with OpenCS and cellselect branch - it's the branch that contains the code associated in part with the function of the window rendering the cell. Of course, the whole part is far from done, but recent changes have already been incorporated into the main branch, so I encourage you to try them out!

And that's all, see you next week!

I would also recommend changing the words "Let's start with OpenCS and cellselect branch - " to something like "For this week's improvements we'll focus on the OpenCS and cellselect branch - ". This is because "Let's start with" implies there will be additional topics beyond those mentioned that will be talked about at the end.

Also, I removed all of the line-breaks I found in the middle of sentences.
Last edited by Greendogo on 25 Apr 2014, 03:45, edited 1 time in total.
cc9cii

Post by cc9cii »

@Nekochan
Also, Cc9cii fixed a physics bug. After that we have discovered that engine performance has improved!
As much as I would like to claim such a feat, I'm afraid the facts don't support it. What actually happened was that my physics fix *broke* the performance and I made a compromise patch to "improve" the performance but that also made the physics fix less effective. :oops:
Nekochan

Post by Nekochan »

@Cc9cii

If I may use your words I will correct the news with this :)

* Cc9cii corrected me: His “physics fix” actually *broke* the performance but he made a compromise patch to "improve" the performance but that also made the physics fix less effective.

But we trust he will find the way! :)
Nekochan

Post by Nekochan »

Speak now or stop talking "for ever"... now you have chance to see draft and put some changes before I will post it... but beware time is running... you have just 24h :P
more or less ;)

Draft:

Spring and the heart sing...

Sir. Herrbatka greeted the spring with a flu; we also sympathise with those suffering from allergies, who are now sitting with red eyes and runny noses. But we still love spring! Even with all this spring ruckus, I ensure you that we will not stop, all our TOP hackers are still sitting through long hours of code! We are more active than busy bees, and effects of our work are plain to see.

Let's start with bugfixes: there's lots of them. I'd like to finish at that statement, but then the readers might feel cheated, so I have to mention at least some of our accomplishments:

- you can now easily rob dead opponents, and it is no longer considered stealing;

- the time it takes to drown isn't hard coded in game engine anymore;

- lots and lots more fixes...

More?

- You can no longer repair items, charge magical objects and create potions during a fight.

- Many other changes

There aren't many new functions, but you probably got used to that. OpenMW still needs bugfixes in everything that was already implemented. But still we have suprising for you we still have some new function!

- NPCs can use torches in rooms (if it's dark enough);

- NPCs are returned to their default location;

Computer opponents are able to aim in the vertical axis (with regards to all who tormented monsters from levitating position);
Okulo

Post by Okulo »

I've been a bit liberal with "fixes", changing the sentences a bit so that it runs a bit better here and there, make the text a bit more "juicy", if you know what I mean. Translation, after all, is more often than not about the spirit of the text, not about the letter. :-)

It's spring and all hearts sing...

Except for Sir Herrbatka's, who started off the spring with a flu. We also sympathise with those suffering from allergies, who are now walking around with red eyes and runny noses. But despite that we still love this season, and even with all this ruckus surrounding it, we promise that we're not going to stop development. All our top coders are still working for hours on end. We're a veritable beehive of activity, which shows in the work that has been done.

Let's start with bugfixes: there are a lot of them. I would've liked to leave it at that, but then you might feel cheated, so I have to mention at least some of our accomplishments:

- You can now loot corpses without being considered a thief.
- The time it takes to drown is no longer hardcoded.
- You can no longer repair items, recharge enchanted items or create potions in the middle of a fight.
- Any many more fixes...

This update isn't very feature rich, but you have probably gotten used to that by now. After all, OpenMW still has a lot of bugs in all the work that has already been done. But that doesn't mean it's completely devoid of features - there's still some news for you:

- Depending on how dark it is, NPCs might use torches.
- When NPCs are done chasing something or someone, they will now return to their default position.
- NPCs can now fight along the vertical axis, so you can no longer chug a levitation potion and pummel those poor, defenceless NPCs into oblivion.
After all, OpenMW still has a lot of bugs in all the work that has already been done.
I'm still not satisfied about this part, though.
Nekochan

Post by Nekochan »

Maybe then:
"After all, OpenMW still has a lot of bugs that must be correct."