New Laptop

Not about OpenMW? Just about Morrowind in general? Have some random babble? Kindly direct it here.
Tarius

New Laptop

Post by Tarius »

Alright, so I am getting a new laptop and wanted opinions.

Computer has likely been chosen.
http://www.xoticpc.com/msi-gt70-2oc065u ... figure=yes
Thermal compound and copper cooling upgrade
256GB Crucial Solid State mSATA III
750GB 7200RPM 16MB Cache Buffer (Serial-ATA II)
6X Blu-Ray Reader + 8X DVDRW/CDRW Super Multi Combo Drive
(whats different from default listed above)
REGULAR PRICE
$1876.00
3% CASH DISCOUNT (?)
-$56.28
CASH DISCOUNTED PRICE
$1819.72 Total

For $45 more I could get it over clocked, but not sure I care to do that. I could do it myself, but I have never overclocked anything before. I wont be using a cooling pad, so I am weary about having it overclocked.(I have a shelf directly over my desk that gives me exactly 13in of space, this laptop, while I dont know the exact measurements when open, I have estimated takes up somewhere around 12.8in which means its pretty darned close.)
For $25 more I could get 12gb of ram instead of 8gb, but I still cant think of why I would need that much. I suppose I could add more later if needed, but its a bit cheaper to add it right now. Is 8gb of RAM really enough? I think it should be and I havent seen anything to suggest otherwise. I dont see a point in buy more ram if it practically isnt going to be used.
Would have loved to have a finger print reader like my current computer has, but its not built in.

So, does anyone think they know of something that can top this? I have found cheaper by like $100, but that doesnt come with a warrenty or cooling upgrades like this does. Nor the testing or anything.
I put a hard limit of $2000 on what I wanna spend, but cheaper is nice.(would love the 780m card, but thats about $300 more)

Finally, this laptop edged out another laptop because it has the better warrenty and costs like $14 less. Otherwise, it was exactly the same save for having a 3in1 card reader versus a 7in1(which I couldnt actually use) and the other one was barebones so windows 8 could be added for ~$100.
My queston leading from this, since I know a few of you have experience here, is the effort required to use linux in place of windows 8. Now, I am mostly curious here. As far as I know, windows is still easier to run a majority of stuff on because its made to run under windows. I have a few older programs and a couple that even require dosbox. So, what would the hassel here be?
wheybags

Re: New Laptop

Post by wheybags »

These guys do good gaming laptops at a reasonable price if you're on this side of the atlantic.