Frontiers

Not about OpenMW? Just about Morrowind in general? Have some random babble? Kindly direct it here.
Railboy

Re: Frontiers

Post by Railboy »

I'm wonder what you researched actually
Two things, what people like / hate when they're exploring an open game world, and what people like / hate when dealing with mods. I had to decide up front if I was going to support mods because it obviously impacts architecture a lot. (Ultimately I decided to go for it so if it gets funded it'll have full mod support.)
I agree that by hand is still better for a few things, but damned, can you imagine the amount of work/time saved
FRONTIERS actually started out purely procedural for this reason - I wanted to have a massive world without spending hundreds of hours sculpting details. But my kung fu wasn't good enough to write a procedural terrain engine that looked pretty AND was fast AND made for interesting gameplay, so in the end I opted for static procedural + hand-sculpted.
How do you handle tree generation and rendering?
Unity's tree generator for the majority and my own tree generator for vines and ground cover. Rendering is handled by Unity, their terrain system has a pretty good billboarding feature.

Did I just see cookiemonster16 posting on Steam Greenlight? I swear the world gets smaller every day.
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

Ah, so the core is Unity so this isn't an opensource project? :) Nothing wrong with that though. ;)

I was looking around for an libre speedtree like library.
Railboy

Post by Railboy »

Haha, no not open source I'm afraid. But I do hope to expose the APIs for anything I write so folks can mod their hearts out.

The Unity tree generator might be something you can still use - the editor is free, and it comes with the generator, and there are also free scripts that let you export meshes from the Unity editor. So you could generate the tree then export the mesh and textures into Blender (or whatever).
Railboy

Post by Railboy »

Hey guys - the IndieGoGo campaign is live! It just went up a few hours ago, only a few forums know about it for now.

Check it out at http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/frontiers/x/3357595

Thanks to all for your interest so far, let's hope this works!
Zedd

Post by Zedd »

Looking good! Very nice perk rewards, I especially like the master perk.

Time for you to spam this all over the internet :).
Zedd

Post by Zedd »

In some earlier comments you make about Frontiers you claim to plan to work on the physics of the game in such extend that as an example even space would be technically possible to get to. Since there's no mention at all about the physics system in your campaign I take it you took a step down on that area?

EDIT: Nevermind my question, I just had to read on to find it.
Railboy

Post by Railboy »

In some earlier comments you make about Frontiers you claim to plan to work on the physics of the game in such extend that as an example even space would be technically possible to get to. Since there's no mention at all about the physics system in your campaign I take it you took a step down on that area?
[edit] (Didn't want my earlier answer floating out in the google verse for too long.)

Long story short, yeah most of that stuff is gone.
Railboy

Post by Railboy »

Hey just dropping in to say thanks to everyone who visited / shared / contributed, the campaign will probably break 6k today!
sirherrbatka

Post by sirherrbatka »

Oh man, I feel sorry for not contributing :/
Tarius

Post by Tarius »

sirherrbatka wrote:Oh man, I feel sorry for not contributing :/
There are alot of projects out there worthy of a donation. Dont feel bad that you cant donate to them all. haha
I have donated to Planetary Annihiliation, Lets build a goddamn tesla museum, to name a couple. But I have a limited amount of money.