Having trouble running in Ubuntu

Support for running, installing or compiling OpenMW

Before you submit a bug report for the first time, please read: Bug reporting guidelines
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Re: Having trouble running in Ubuntu

Post by psi29a »

We are trying to stabilize on libboost 1.53 since that is the default now on recent distros. What is interesting is that on Precise (LTS) the latest boost is 1.48 which introduced chrono. It is in your interest to upgrade all your boost to at least 1.48.

As for the last bit... I hope that someone else can comment on: Chris, Scrawl or Zini? It seems to me that it cannot find a required file in your Morrowind data. You are so far the only one to have this problem, you should feel lucky! :)

May I ask which revision of Ubuntu you are running? I've tested the 64-bit debs on Precise, Quantal and Raring without problems.
Zini

Post by Zini »

Can we see your user location openmw.cfg file, please?
heWhoWearsAshes

Post by heWhoWearsAshes »

BrotherBrick wrote: It is in your interest to upgrade all your boost to at least 1.48.
I did try to install chrono1.48, but it broke dependencies for libogre and other libboost packages that are not associated with the openmw install. I can't finish the install like that I think.
BrotherBrick wrote: May I ask which revision of Ubuntu you are running? I've tested the 64-bit debs on Precise, Quantal and Raring without problems.
I'm running 64bit precise.
Zini wrote: Can we see your user location openmw.cfg file, please?
/home/<me>/Games/openmw/openmw.cfg
and my morrowind data files:
/home/<me>/Games/morrowind/
Zini

Post by Zini »

I meant the content of the openmw.cfg file in your user location.
heWhoWearsAshes

Oh, here:

Code: Select all

data="?global?data"
data="?mw?Data Files"
data-local="?local?data"
resources=./resources
Zini

Post by Zini »

Well, if that is actually the openmw.cfg file in the user location, then it is totally wrong. There is no sign of any successful ini importer run.
heWhoWearsAshes

What's it supposed to look like? And what would I do to get it right? Is that caused by a problem with my data files?
Zini

Post by Zini »

Not necessarily. The problem is that the ini importer hasn't run properly. Normally you should get a prompt when running the launcher for the first time. Why that failed I don't know. You can either try to reset the launcher (find the launcher.cfg file alongside the openmw.cfg file and set the firstrun= line to true) or you can run the mwiniimporter directly from the command line (use the --help option to get information on the required parameters).
taknamay

Post by taknamay »

Even after changing operating systems, the exact same problem happens. How likely is it that this is a hardware issue?

Thankfully I can successfully test on my other machine, which runs Windows. It saddens me I won't be able to play on this one though :(
Zini

Post by Zini »

If it really is the exact some problem, it has nothing to do with hardware. There is no way a hardware problem can cause a broken or incomplete config file.