How to Manually change Morrowind controls for mouse and key

Not about OpenMW? Just about Morrowind in general? Have some random babble? Kindly direct it here.
sg1efc

How to Manually change Morrowind controls for mouse and key

Post by sg1efc »

Hello everyone:

My installation details:
Linux Mint Cinnamon, just plain Morrowind installed on PC, no mods or other extras, Bethesda patch is installed.

When I go into the Morrowind Options Menu and then into the Controls screen, when I try to change the "Use" setting which is currently set as 'Mouse0', the word 'Mouse0' turns red and the game locks up, this keeps happening no matter what I try. Have tried to look in different Morrowind files to see if I can directly edit the stored setting for the controls in a text editor, but not certain which file is correct. Does anyone know if this is possible and which file is correct?

Thank you all very much in advance for any help and ideas. :)

By the way, the reason why I wish to change this, is so that I can use Qjoypad with my Rumblepad 2. ;)
Last edited by sg1efc on 08 Feb 2013, 23:26, edited 1 time in total.
scrawl

Re: Question: How to change Morrowind controls for mouse and

Post by scrawl »

This is a wine bug. It never worked.
sg1efc

Re: Question: How to change Morrowind controls for mouse and

Post by sg1efc »

scrawl wrote:This is a wine bug. It never worked.
Hello Scrawl: :)

Oh ok, Thank You very much for letting me know, I really appreciate it. Have a nice weekend,

Sg1efc ;)
sirherrbatka

Re: How to Manually change Morrowind controls for mouse and

Post by sirherrbatka »

Start morrowind in the wine virtual desktop → select option to change key → alt+tab to other window → alt+tab to morrowind window → profit!

Or simply use regedit.
sg1efc

Post by sg1efc »

sirherrbatka wrote:Start morrowind in the wine virtual desktop → select option to change key → alt+tab to other window → alt+tab to morrowind window → profit!

Or simply use regedit.
Hello Sirherrbatka: :)

Thank you very much also for trying to help me. I have tried the first way you mentioned, if I understand it correctly, the alt+tab cycles away from the program you are currently in and allows you to choose other windows, or go into the Mint Menu. Guess I did not do it correctly the several times I have tried that way or something else is wrong/different with my Mint maybe, Morrowind still seems to stay locked up.

I would like to try the "simply use regedit" way you mentioned. Opened regedit but not sure where in that mess to look, lots of laughs. Tried searching for Bethesda, Morrowind and Mouse in there but don't know what I am really looking for. :oops: Would you please tell me where I should open in regedit, that has the list of saved settings for the keyboard and mouse controls for Morrowind in regedit? Sorry for being such a newbie pain... :roll: :)

I very much appreciate everyone's help, Thanks a lot! ;)
sirherrbatka

Post by sirherrbatka »

No? It used to work...

In my case registery key is in Hkey_current_user/bethesda. You don't run steam version, do you?
sg1efc

Post by sg1efc »

sirherrbatka wrote:No? It used to work...

In my case registery key is in Hkey_current_user/bethesda. You don't run steam version, do you?
Thanks again Sirherrbatka. :)

Nope, don't have the Steam version, just the regular version. Ok, maybe I am not following your directions correctly:
I start Morrowind,
wait until I get to the Morrowind main menu,
then I should hit the alt+tab buttons 2 times? Is that all, or something else? I am unsure what you mean by "profit!"? Is that a Console Command or something (have heard of the Console but never really used it)?

Or should I go to the Morrowind "options" menu, then do the alt+tab 2 times...? :? :)

The reason I'd like to change the Mouse0 to something else in Morrowind, is that Qjoypad does not see any buttons as Mouse0, Qjoypad is seeing buttons as Mouse1, Mouse2 and Mouse 3... this is like a game of Cat & Mouse for me, LoL. :lol: ;)

I didn't make out so well in gedit, I see several results from my "bethesda" search, they all end in ".lnk", not certain what I should click on anywhere in there. I always despised Windows except for its being able to play games pretty well, LoL. Anyway, if you or anyone else has more info/suggestions/tips, I am more than willing to try to follow anymore instructions posted here. :) Thanks again everyone. ;)
sirherrbatka

Post by sirherrbatka »

you should go to settings where you choose controls, pick control (morrowind will wait for input) and then change window, after changing back to morrowind it will be able to read keyboard input. This little trick used to work.
sg1efc

Post by sg1efc »

sirherrbatka wrote:you should go to settings where you choose controls, pick control (morrowind will wait for input) and then change window, after changing back to morrowind it will be able to read keyboard input. This little trick used to work.
Thanks very much, I understand what you are describing, have tried it several times and it is not working for me, the line I click on still highlights in red font color & it locks up, so either I have a setting in Wine or Mint that is conflicting with this trick, or maybe I'm still doing something wrong, LoL. :lol:

I will try to do it a few more times and will also see if I can figure out where in gedit the setting I need to change is. If these don't work out, I'll also try to figure out how to get Qjoypad to recognize Mouse0. :)

As I say, your help Sirherrbatka and everyone else's is greatly appreciated. Have a nice day/night. :)