Yet another application

Join the team. This area is for people who want to participate in OpenMW's development in one way or another.
mike29

Re: Yet another application

Post by mike29 »

;Allows the game to draw lines on the world map showing how you travel. They can't be removed! They do not follow a route, and are simply straight lines.
;Each RGB value is set individually.
[Map]
Travel Siltstrider Red=238
Travel Siltstrider Green=230
Travel Siltstrider Blue=30
Travel Boat Red=30
Travel Boat Green=30
Travel Boat Blue=230
Travel Magic Red=230
Travel Magic Green=30
Travel Magic Blue=30
;Enables the above. Wisely defaults to 0.
Show Travel Lines=0

;Controls how the player model looks in the inventory.
[Inventory]
DirectionalDiffuseR=1.0
DirectionalDiffuseG=1.0
DirectionalDiffuseB=1.0
DirectionalAmbientR=0.3
DirectionalAmbientG=0.2
DirectionalAmbientB=0.2
DirectionalRotationX=80
DirectionalRotationY=90
;Scales things accurately, over-large items won't look "right" for the inventory player image. Default = 0
;If you enable this, you may not be able to click on certain equipped items, such as helmets or hats.
UniformScaling=1
;defaults
;DirectionalDiffuseR=1.0
;DirectionalDiffuseG=1.0
;DirectionalDiffuseB=1.0
;DirectionalAmbientR=0.5
;DirectionalAmbientG=0.5
;DirectionalAmbientB=0.5
;DirectionalRotationX=1.0
;DirectionalRotationY=0
;DirectionalRotationZ=0
;UniformScaling=0

;Positions the menu windows.
[MenuStates]
MenuStat=1.7 0.4870 0.4294 0.5042 0.4158 0.3898 0.3970 0.0028 0.0633 0 1 0
MenuMagic=1.7 0.3552 0.8778 0.5032 0.1742 0.2677 0.4898 0.9054 0.9946 0 1 0
MenuMap=1.7 0.9750 0.8676 0.8125 0.2378 0.5719 0.4704 0.9501 0.0455 0 1 0
Imho it should be in save file not in ini
Zini

Post by Zini »

Agreed. So we need Map and Inventory, but we don't need MenuStates.
Chris

Post by Chris »

mike29 wrote:Imho it should be in save file not in ini
I disagree with that, of course (for the menus). I don't believe the menu layout should be dependent on the game state, because then you may not only have it changing by switching save games, but it'll also get reverted when starting a new game. It will also make modability troublesome, as well as cause compatibility problems as the menu system is enhanced post-1.0 (menu states that exist in one version may not apply cleanly to a future engine update; and if you ever need to go back a version from where new menu state data was introduced..).
mike29

Post by mike29 »

It will not be dependent on game state but it will be part of it. Whole point of saving it in save file is that when i play mage i want spells menu to be big in upper left corner and with warrior char it can be on the bottom right. When new game is started it can be taken from ini or from hardcoded defaults. I don't see how it will make modability troublesome, can you tell some more about it? Adding new menus or even removing old ones should not be troublesome.
potatoesmaster

Post by potatoesmaster »

Zini wrote:Not sure about Cursors. Are these texture names? If they are, then we need them.
Values in Cursors section are not texture names but rather model names without extension.
Zini wrote: Level Up: I know these messages are used in Skyrim, but I don't remember ever seeing one in MW. Is my memory playing tricks on me?
These messages appear in the level up dialog: http://jwhitney.net/morrowind/2012-11-28_00079.jpg.
Zini

Post by Zini »

Values in Cursors section are not texture names but rather model names without extension.
Huh? Can't follow? Since when do have cursors models?
Chris

Post by Chris »

mike29 wrote:It will not be dependent on game state but it will be part of it. Whole point of saving it in save file is that when i play mage i want spells menu to be big in upper left corner and with warrior char it can be on the bottom right. When new game is started it can be taken from ini or from hardcoded defaults.
I'd personally prefer the UI to be consistent regardless of what kind of character I play, regardless if it's a new character, and regardless if it's my last save or a much older save. The more it changes between characters/saves, the more annoyed I'd be that it can't just stay how I last put it. As it is, I find MW's UI to be difficult to use because of how it wants to put everything on the screen at once, so I don't need it pseudo-randomly changing every time I change characters/saves.

Besides, OpenMW is going to support "profiles" so different characters could have different INIs, meaning you could have different layouts for different characters if you want.
I don't see how it will make modability troublesome, can you tell some more about it? Adding new menus or even removing old ones should not be troublesome.
The idea I have is that mods would be able to redo the UI from scratch. Instead of just XML files, it'd be HTML5/JS (if you're familiar with Skyrim using Flash, think like that except an open alternative). Different mods would have different properties, different (incompatible) values for properties, etc. With it stored in the INI you can have each mod use its own section to store whatever persistent data it wants, but with it in the save game...?
potatoesmaster

Post by potatoesmaster »

@Zini:
It's not just cursors, all UI elements have models.

These are present in Morrowind.bsa:

Code: Select all

meshes\cursor.nif
meshes\cursor_drop.nif
meshes\cursor_drop_ground.nif
meshes\cursormove.nif
meshes\main_menu_button.nif
meshes\menu_button_frame.nif
meshes\menu_contents.nif
meshes\menu_head_block.nif
meshes\menu_icon_frame.nif
meshes\menu_messagebox.nif
meshes\menu_rightbuttondown.nif
meshes\menu_rightbuttonup.nif
meshes\menu_scroll_bar.nif
meshes\menu_scroll_da.nif
meshes\menu_scroll_hort_bar.nif
meshes\menu_scroll_scroller.nif
meshes\menu_scroll_slider.nif
meshes\menu_scroll_ua.nif
meshes\menu_scroll_vert_bar.nif
meshes\menu_thick_border.nif
meshes\menu_thin_border.nif
…
Zini

Post by Zini »

@Chris: A few corrections:
Besides, OpenMW is going to support "profiles"
OpenMW does not have profiles. Only the launcher has and that only affects the ESX file selection.
With it stored in the INI you can have each mod use its own section to store whatever persistent data it wants, but with it in the save game...?
Doesn't make a difference. You just have to design the save file format in the right way.

@potatoesmaster:

That is seriously odd. Can anyone explain what these files are good for?
pvdk

Post by pvdk »

Zini wrote:That is seriously odd. Can anyone explain what these files are good for?
Morrowind uses .nif models for the menus and cursors, they are essentially flat planes textured with the menu textures.